General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch safety switch during starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default clutch safety switch during starting

So i havent had a chance to get on in a while but i got a quick question for ya. On my 96 ex manual there is a built in safety mechanism/switch that requires the clutch to be pressed when starting. It is starting to malfunction and causing the car to not start every once in a while. when it happens for now i can usually press and release the clutch multiple times and then the car will start but im wondering if there is a way to bypass this mechanism/switch. Im am extremely versed in automotive electrical so its really more of a question of does anyone know which wires(colors) that need to be bypassed in order to save me a little time under there testing?

Old 04-19-2014, 01:43 PM

The switch may just be sticking and require cleaning and grease.

I did this for my remote starter though. You just need to connect the two wires together. you can do a loopback connector or just splice the two wires. You will see a connector on the clutch much like the brake light switch.

Keep in mind you may notice that there are two that look like the clutch switch, the one you want is located closest and easiest to get to.

I can't remember the wire colors. Theyre pretty easy to find though.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Almost A Senior Member

ok, thanks robinson. i figured it was something as simple as that.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:05 PM

There is an adjustment for the clutch switch. Look at where it is attached to the pedal assembly, there is a lock nut, loosen that and by screwing it in will make contact sooner. Once you find the perfect place where it works fine retighten the lock nut. Cleaning does help but if that does not do it this might be your fix.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:34 PM

The easiest thing to do is to put a paperclip into the connector however the clutch switch really only goes bad when it breaks off so im not too sure its bad. I would think the starter contacts or the ignition switch would be bad before the clutch switch.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Almost A Senior Member

You would think so but i checked those and they are fine. Plus when it occurs pushing and releasing the clutch a couple times fixes it. When I go to bypass it I will splice the wires rather than stick a paper clip in there as I have all the necessary tools and parts. To put it nicely a paper clip just seems to unsecured and "jerryriged". I appreciate it though.

Last edited by firefighter44; 04-19-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I will however try cleaning it and adjusting as stated before I splice it out all together

Old 04-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to short the switch and see if the problem goes away before modifying the wiring.

Pushing in the clutch pedal also shuts of the cruise control, so you may want to consider replacing the switch. I am always a fan of keeping the car stock and not bypassing systems when possible.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Yeah i will check it all out first before making changes but the problem is so intermittent that it will be hard to tell. Also my cruise control hasnt worked in a very long time but i believe that is due to the clockspring.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by firefighter44
You would think so but i checked those and they are fine. Plus when it occurs pushing and releasing the clutch a couple times fixes it. When I go to bypass it I will splice the wires rather than stick a paper clip in there as I have all the necessary tools and parts. To put it nicely a paper clip just seems to unsecured and "jerryriged". I appreciate it though.
so you would rather hack your wiring harness than to actually test all the parts ? i am about 99.9 percent certain it is NOT the clutch switch ... 75 percent its the starter contacts and 20 percent its the ignition switch

Quick Reply: clutch safety switch during starting