General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:57 PM
bhluxton
Unregistered
Default clutch troubles

My trouble is the clutch. i seem to be having trouble at nearly random intervals shifting in and out of gear. I can generally pull the stick out of gear, but shifting it back in is not so easy. Even though i generally leave my standards in 1st while parked, when the clutch is giving me trouble I couldnt possibly hammer the stick into first. I thought it was a heat problem, but sometimes if i shut the car off and turn it back on it seems to run alot smoother. It does seem to happen more in lower gears, but i wonder if thats when i notice it more because we seem to shift more frequently when driving in lower gears (city vs hwy drvng).
My mechanic said that the clutch lubricant was a little dirty, but hardly the cause of the problem. Also, the clutch wouldnt need replacing yet because there seems to be ample wear remaining. Possibly my floor mat is getting in my way!
Well two months of driving with no floor mats has put the kybosh on that explanation. teggers site has lead me to believe that perhaps there is rust on the input shaft and in the input shaft hole. Mine doesnt sound as bad as his, but id like to nip it in the bud. The weirdest part is that it doesnt always happen, but it is rarely bad when i first start the car. Maybe that corroborates the rust idea?
Should i be taking this to a honda dealership? is there an easy or cheap fix for this problem that my own mechanic can perform?
thanks so much for your help
ben

Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome new member!

Anyway, it sounds like the clutch is dragging because of a hydraulic problem. First thing, verify by checking whether turning off the engine allows you to shift. (Don't be stupid in traffic...)

1) How is your clutch fluid? Low? Dirty? Never flushed with fresh since 2001?

2) Ever bleed your clutch to remove air bubbles?

3) Look for leaks, especially soaking into the mat beneath the carpeting (below the clutch pedal).

One thing is internal leakdown in the clutch master cylinder. Find the slave cylinder on the front of the tranny bellhousing, & get someone to work the pedal (don't need to start the engine). You should rule out problems with 1, 2, 3 above first.
a) While someone pumps the pedal, watch the throw-out lever. I think it should move about 12mm back & forth.
b) After pumping, hold the pedal down to the floor. Watch the throwout lever. It should NOT creep back towards the slave cylinder.

Do those checks & let us know. If during b), the lever creeps back towards the slave, that means you need a new clutch master cylinder.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:26 PM
bhluxton
Unregistered

thanks very much, ill try out those tips.
cheers
ben