General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Codes and Action to Take

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Default Codes and Action to Take

Hello all,

just purchased a '98 from a friend. Car is in great shape with only 136K on it. The check engine light was on and I had it in the local shop. It came back with four codes, they checked them all out and said things looked fine and to let them know if it comes back on. It came back on the following day so I am curious if anyone knows how serious they are. I'll bring the car back but have a big driving trip this weekend and would prefer to deal with this afterward. The car runs fine. Here are the codes:

P1456 Evaporative System Leak
P1491 EGR Circuit Fault
P1259 V-TEC Oil Switch Circuit
P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow

Also, I apparently have the original wire and dist cap. How difficult are these to change? Thanks!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hello Member...

Originally Posted by misterpatrick
Hello all,

just purchased a '98 from a friend. Car is in great shape with only 136K on it. The check engine light was on and I had it in the local shop. It came back with four codes, they checked them all out and said things looked fine and to let them know if it comes back on. It came back on the following day so I am curious if anyone knows how serious they are. I'll bring the car back but have a big driving trip this weekend and would prefer to deal with this afterward. The car runs fine. Here are the codes:

P1456 Evaporative System Leak
P1491 EGR Circuit Fault
P1259 V-TEC Oil Switch Circuit
P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow

Also, I apparently have the original wire and dist cap. How difficult are these to change? Thanks!
If your shop checked out the codes and didn't fix them...what did they do? erase the codes and send you down the road?

WheelBrokerAng

Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 AM

They took a look at what the codes reflected and said everything looked fine and there was nothing to fix that they could see. If the check engine light came back on they said they'd do further investigation.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
If your shop checked out the codes and didn't fix them...what did they do? erase the codes and send you down the road?

WheelBrokerAng
And page said that the lights came on the next day..that's what make me think they erased the code..if this is tru..I wouldn't use them to do any work..

See what the next shop says..if the codes are all the same after they read them..ask them how much to fix..and what their repair warranty covers on their work..

Angelo

Attached Thumbnails Codes and Action to Take-8728_1115804218513_1329183933_30289993_2899325_n.jpg  
Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Those codes are nothing that would cause immediate problems. Did you tell the shop that you didn't want to do repairs presently? That may be why they reset the codes and returned car to you "as-is".

There are repairs required to fix these. Nothing enormous, but certainly several hundred dollars in repairs. I hope these figured into your price.

good luck

Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Thanks. They said nothing in the codes was a major issue which is why they reset the check engine light and told me to keep an eye on it. I just wanted to make sure it's nothing major and something I can put off for a few months. They said other than the codes, the car looks great but while the plugs are new, the cap and wires are the original so I should replace those at some point.

I got the car from a friend who left the country for work so I paid next to nothing for it so I'm fine paying for the repairs. The shop I go to is a stand-up place. Most of the guys working there play softball with my brothers and have been working on our family cars for twenty years. I just wanted to get some other opinions on what to do, and as I plan on making a lot of the minor repairs myself, thought I'd start using this forum. Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Those codes are nothing that would cause immediate problems. Did you tell the shop that you didn't want to do repairs presently? That may be why they reset the codes and returned car to you "as-is".

There are repairs required to fix these. Nothing enormous, but certainly several hundred dollars in repairs. I hope these figured into your price.

good luck

Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

is this a 4 or 6 cylinder accord?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM

I actually don't know - I've been too busy to take a look. It's the 4-door sedan 5-speed manual.