General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

condemn Torque Lockup Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Default condemn Torque Lockup Solenoid?

Hey guys I am having moderate trouble slowing down and my transmission fluid gets somewhat burned up fast. The car drives pretty much normal, it shifts normal enough, and is not erratic. I have checked the lockup solenoid per service information, and the resistance is somewhat out of spec, as its specs are measured in ohms. I want to know if it is common for the lockup solenoid to go out on these cars.Is there any other test i can perform to further condemn this part?

-Scott

97 Accord SE 170k miles

Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: condemn Torque Lockup Solenoid?

Why are you concerned with the lock-up solenoid? Does it have a code? What is it?

Old 03-20-2007, 04:36 AM

I am concerned with the lock-up solenoid because I was noticing that when I slow down, it requires a bit of application of the brakes, and sometimes i use my parking brake to help slow the car down. I am still really new to transmissions, torque converters, clutches, differentials, etc. With that in mind, correct me if I am wrong. It was my understanding that the torque converter lock-up was designed so that when it was enabled, the output of the engine went directly to the transmission, and the idea of it was to get better efficiency and better gas mileage.

My concern is that the lockup is faulty,though not faulty enough to trip the computer. I also have a belief this part has some relation to the horrible gas mileage I get with this car. This car does in fact have over 170k miles. i have only had this vehicle since august 06. I have changed plugs to denso iridiums, honda fuel filter, air filter, checked brakes-->discs and drums, and they are in adjustment incomparison with the service info. I had access to the service info, and some of the symptoms came up, so i took the service info and tested the only relateditems i could test, and the lockup solenoid didnt meet the specs.

The purpose of this post was to inquire if I was on the right track before i go and purchase a $200 part... I'd like someone to agree with me or tell me I am wrong. I know that I am new, and there are many of you guys who have the knowledge and/or expertise, and I was seeking advice.

I appreciate all help. Thanks in advance

-Scott

97 Accord SE, 170k miles

Old 03-20-2007, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: ufosearch

The purpose of this post was to inquire if I was on the right track before i go and purchase a $200 part... I'd like someone to agree with me or tell me I am wrong. I know that I am new, and there are many of you guys who have the knowledge and/or expertise, and I was seeking advice.

Is the lock-up working? If you run teh car up to cruising speed the rpms should drop a couple hundred rpms when it locks up. Giving it a bit of gas should them make it release. Letting off the gas should cause it to release also.

Does the car stall when coming to a stop?

Old 03-21-2007, 04:40 PM

There arent any DTC's, it doesnt stall out, but it does seem like it catches a lot when slowing down, however, it seems like it slips a lot when accelerating. It seems like it slips most of the time, and usually does not drop in rpm much or at all.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

unplug the solenoid and put 12 volts to the lead wire, does it click?
throttle cable to trans pressure lever adjustment correct?

Old 03-22-2007, 01:08 AM

ORIGINAL: ufosearch

it seems like it slips a lot when accelerating.
It's not going to lock up under acceleration, just during cruise conditions.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:42 AM

Hmm... Here is what happened.... I went back and flushed the transaxle fluid and I went and tested both the shift and lock-up solenoids, and they both clicked under 12v, and now they both measure 16 ohms. I am still slightly confused why the vehicle operates the way it does. Perhaps thisis more of an engine performance issue?I did pull the egr valve cover off, and cleaned out the thick carbon. That helped a lot, but I still have a little bit of an issue. Any thoughts on what i should/could check?

Does anyone know what the specs are for the transaxle pressure lever cable? I looked through mitchell1 service info, and couldnt find info about that specific cable. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Scott
97 Accord SE
170k miles

Old 04-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Adjusting the trans pressure lever cable; with the pressurelever at full 'slack' position, rest a long screwdriver on the lever and hold it, with your other hand pull lightly on the throttle cable. Just at the point the RPM starts to rise so should the pressure lever.
Driving test; driving along a level road at 25 mph under light throttle, put the gas to the floor, the trans should down shift to first gear.
Repeat the same drive at 28 mph, when you floor the gas the trans should only go down to second gear.