General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condenser

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Default Condenser

My car wasn't blowing cold air, took it to the mechanic who put some tint/dye in there and a few days later there were green stains all over the condenser and other parts, he said I had a leak and needed a new condenser. I went to the yard and found a condenser for $40. I'm ready to buy it, but I want to install it myself. so:

How do i get the old one out? Will I have to remove any other parts?
What toods will I need?
Any precautions I should take? Dos' and don'ts?

Finally, once installed, Does a cerfitied tech have to recalibrate it to get the freon in and have it properly pressurized or can i do it myself with one of those freon recharging bottles they sell. Thanks

Last edited by Johnene; 07-27-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

A $40 junkyard condensor might just leak like your old one. Can they pressurize it to check for leaks? Can you?

I'm not sure with a 1993, what you have to move to gain access to the condensor. Maybe remove the radiator which means draining the anti-freeze?

After you install it, make sure you get NEW O-rings for the tubing connections. Then you WILL need an AC shop to evacuate all the air & moisture out of the system before filling it up.

This is probably better in General Tech, so I'll move it.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Makkybarr
Unregistered

Just remove the grill and clean the filter. Clean out any clogs in the evaporator or condenser coils by using a vacuum and scrubbing them carefully with an old toothbrush. If the unit simply won't blow air, it means the fan motor is bad. Fix machine leaks by unclogging the exhaust with a screwdriver, and then double-check for correct installation. Avoid ice buildup on coils by cleaning dirty air filters. Or, in external weather conditions colder than 60 degrees, defrost the coil by turning the selector switch to the fan position. Let it run until the ice melts. Remove the cabinet, relocate the condenser fan and stiffen the screw at center of fan in the case of rattling noise. The rattle is coming from a wobbly condenser or evaporator fan hitting the coils or housing. If you are looking for a good ac condenser buy car ac condenser, you can count on autocondenserstore.com