General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which coolant temp sensor sends to the gauge? 01 Honda Accord V6

Old 08-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Smile Which coolant temp sensor sends to the gauge? 01 Honda Accord V6

I have the same problem as in the other thread...

I have an 01 Honda accord V6 4 door.
My temp gauge is way off, now it mostly shows hot but its not..

As in the other thread there are more than one sensor....
After buying the sending unit from Advanced Auto I noticed on the screen there were several other to choose from...

One on the head, one by the EGR valve, the one on the block which I think I bought... and one other...

Anywho can you please give me the details on which unit/sensor to replace that controls the temp gauge and where its at?

Thank you,
Chuck

Old 08-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

On a 2001, the temperature gauge gets its signal from the PCM. The PCM gets its input from the ECT sensor.

A 2001 does not have a gauge sending unit like the 98-99 Accords.

Attached Thumbnails Which coolant temp sensor sends to the gauge?  01 Honda Accord V6-ect-sensor.jpg  
Old 08-26-2015, 07:29 PM

Can you be more specific like this quote below? And this is from a 1995 Accord LX 2.2 non vtec 5sp in the quote below...

Looking up 01 honda accord ect sensor brings up 3 different ones from google...
As I know its a sensor/sending unit/whatever you want to call it. which one is it, and where is it at on the 01 V6 auto.

This is from the quote in the other thread...
"Anyway, there are four sensors.

Temp switch A: On thermostat/lower radiator hose housing. Has two wires and a green plug. Will turn on both fans when coolant is above 200F when the engine is running. It is an on/off switch.

Temp switch B: On the housing where the upper radiator hose clamps to the engine. Also has green plug and two wires. Will turn on one fan when coolant is above 223F when the engine is not running. It is an on/off switch.

Engine coolant temperature sending unit. Is on the side of the cylinder head facing the passenger side of the car. It is the closest sensor to Temp switch B. It only has one wire going to it. It controls the temperature gauge in your car, so its signal (resistance) varies.

Engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT sensor): It is on the same face of the cylinder head facing passenger tire, but closer to the windshield. It has two wires going to it. This sends the coolant temperature to the engine computer, so the engine computer can balance the air/fuel mixture. It signal/resistance varies too. "

Last edited by scrapmetaljoe; 08-26-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scrapmetaljoe
Can you be more specific like this quote below? And this is from a 1995 Accord LX 2.2 non vtec 5sp in the quote below...

Looking up 01 honda accord ect sensor brings up 3 different ones from google...
As I know its a sensor/sending unit/whatever you want to call it. which one is it, and where is it at on the 01 V6 auto.

This is from the quote in the other thread...
"Anyway, there are four sensors.

Temp switch A: On thermostat/lower radiator hose housing. Has two wires and a green plug. Will turn on both fans when coolant is above 200F when the engine is running. It is an on/off switch.

Temp switch B: On the housing where the upper radiator hose clamps to the engine. Also has green plug and two wires. Will turn on one fan when coolant is above 223F when the engine is not running. It is an on/off switch.

Engine coolant temperature sending unit. Is on the side of the cylinder head facing the passenger side of the car. It is the closest sensor to Temp switch B. It only has one wire going to it. It controls the temperature gauge in your car, so its signal (resistance) varies.

Engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT sensor): It is on the same face of the cylinder head facing passenger tire, but closer to the windshield. It has two wires going to it. This sends the coolant temperature to the engine computer, so the engine computer can balance the air/fuel mixture. It signal/resistance varies too. "
My initial answer was already specific to your first question for a 2001 Accord V6. The attached photo in my previous shows the location of the ECT sensor outlined in red. The PCM (car's computer) controls the signal after the input from the ECT sensor.

On your car, the others are fans switches and has nothing to do with the temperature gauge signal. If you want to understand regarding the fan switches on your car, see my post #4 in this other thread (note: this other thread for a 98 Accord V6 shows a gauge sending unit, which a 2001 Accord doesn't have or use.) :

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...g-drive-37726/

Old 08-26-2015, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
My initial answer was already specific to your first question for a 2001 Accord V6. The attached photo in my previous shows the location of the ECT sensor outlined in red. The PCM (car's computer) controls the signal after the input from the ECT sensor.

On your car, the others are fans switches and has nothing to do with the temperature gauge signal. If you want to understand regarding the fan switches on your car, see my post #4 in this other thread (note: this other thread for a 98 Accord V6 shows a gauge sending unit, which a 2001 Accord doesn't have or use.) :

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...g-drive-37726/
Sorry, I did not see the pic for some reason. And thank you for the reply.
01 Honda accord ect sensor does not come up at Advance or Rileys and doing a google search brings up 3 different looking sensors.

I disconnected it and my temp gauge dropped to cool finally. So now at least I can call the dealer and tell them which one it is now... Cause they were no help when I called them which lead me to the forums and I got here.

This one, it says its the temperature sensor for the engine computer.
2001 Honda Accord Coolant Temperature Sensor for Engine Computer L4 2.3L L4 at 1A Auto.com
and it looks like the ect sensor in the picture, so this must be it.

Then there is this one that says its for:
2001 Honda Accord Coolant Temperature Sensor for Temperature Gauge V6 3.0L V6
2001 Honda Accord Coolant Temperature Sensor for Temperature Gauge L4 2.3L L4 at 1A Auto.com
which this one does not look like what is in the pic but talks about the gauge... which is what makes it confusing...

And this is the black one that looks like the one by the thermostat...
and also looks like the ect sensor but black so makes it confusing...
Acura Honda Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor TX37 9342 | eBay
with no description...

So is the first one the one I need?

Thanks again,
Chuck

Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the first one is the correct one.

The Honda part number would be 37870-PK2-015, which cross references Standard Motor Products' TX37 (SMP).

2001 Honda Accord Coolant Temperature Sensor for Engine Computer L4 2.3L L4 at 1A Auto.com

NITOMA PARTS SYSTEM

Old 08-27-2015, 12:33 AM
Smile

The Honda part number would be 37870-PK2-015, which cross references Standard Motor Products' TX37 (SMP).

NITOMA PARTS SYSTEM
I ordered the Standard Motor products one.

O and do you by chance have this standard part# 01 Honda Accord Transmission Range Switch Neutral Safety Switch? This by chance? 5888-07124116
And thanks again!
Chuck

Last edited by scrapmetaljoe; 08-27-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Smile

NITOMA PARTS SYSTEM
Can you tell me if this is the right part number also?
Standard Motor Products NS156 Neutral Safety Switch

Thanks,
Chuck

Old 08-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

What is the trim level on your car (for example, LX or EX, 2-door or 4-door)?

So far, I see SMP NS158 cross references the Honda part numbers:28900-P7X-013 and 28900-P7X-003.

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS NS158

Old 08-27-2015, 11:26 AM

What is the trim level on your car (for example, LX or EX, 2-door or 4-door)?

So far, I see SMP NS158 cross references the Honda part numbers:28900-P7X-013 and 28900-P7X-003.

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS NS158

I believe its the LX 4door V6 auto

Ebay and another site show the ns156 as the right one...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which coolant temp sensor sends to the gauge? 01 Honda Accord V6