General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan stays on

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Default Cooling fan stays on

Been awhile since I've been on fourm, Need help on daughters 1989 accord.
Cooling fan was not working. I researched and replaced switched the sits on thermostat housing..turn key on and cycled it. fan comes on when I shut key off and remains running even when motor is cool. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-01-2017, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Does the fan eventually shut off?

Do you have a volt meter, and can you test for open/closed circuits? You would want to verify the sensor is an open circuit with a cold engine.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:13 PM

Hi Rcruz,

My 1989 did this shortly after I got it. For my it was only with key in on position but could be a similar issue. Just go to the front of the car, bottom of the radiator on the passenger side there is a sensor about 0.75" diameter. Pull off the connector and see if the problem stops (fan stops spinning). If so, you can confirm the rest of the circuit is ok by taking a small wire to the connector you pulled off, shorting it should make the fan come on. If you confirm all this the fix would be to just buy another coolant temp sensor / fan switch (I have seen it called in parts stored both things, make sure you bring the old part and compare.) Make sure you have a drain pan under the sensor when you take it off because a lot of coolant will come out.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:21 PM

Yes it shuts off after 5 min running with key off. If I turn key on then it would shut off. It shouldnt come on when engine is cold..

Fan wasn't working at all, Changed the sensor as soon as I plugged sensor, the fan can on. If I turned key back on, then it would quit.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:15 PM

I replaced sensor on housing where the upper radiator hose connected. that when the fan came on soon as I plugged it.Is there another sensor on bottom side of radiator

Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 AM

I did test and sensor is closed when cold. This is a brand new sensor I put in. I guess this could be a bad sensor. The old sensor is open but didnt do anything with fan coming on.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

He's doing this work on his daughter's 89 Accord. That's a 3rd-gen with the older engine series??

Is there a fan timer-module in this model-year? I'm not real sure what year that started.

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-03-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:16 AM

Hmm Well all I know is that the one I replaced was definitely all the way at the bottom of the radiator, not the top. Passenger side. Check if you can see that one by sliding under the car slightly (should not even really need to jack it up, at least I didnt)

Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 PM

Here's the latest, i did locate sensor on bottom side of radiator. I replaced 2 up by thermost tat housing and fan only comes on when car is warmed and shut off. What am I missing?? Thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 AM

So if you short the sensor at the bottom of the radiator (rather, the cable that attaches to it), does the fan come on?

Quick Reply: Cooling fan stays on