General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cooling Fans Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:23 PM
Default Cooling Fans Issue

Temp reaches 180 and my fans want to come on, but when they try to come on, it wants to kill the engine and the fans turn themselves off instantly. Wiring is rigged, need to look at it. Ideas though?

Last edited by TexomaAccord; 03-12-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure what is happening when the fans turning on wants to kill the engine.

You should hookup a volt meter across the battery posts to see if you get a drop in voltage when the fans kick on.

I remember an earlier post in your rebuild thread about the wiring of the fans. Are the fans wired to the relay that is outside the engine bay fuse box, or the relay that is inside the engine bay fuse box?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:49 PM

Both radiator fans are connected to power from the passenger side(condensor fan).
The radiator fan relay is in the engine bay fuse box. The a/c condenser relay is below the engine bay fuse box on the V6. (From your other post)
Also, I think my radiator cap is faulty. Water is leaking from the top of the cap.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:31 PM

Ok, so this is what I did.. I unplugged the fans (both are hooked to one spot) and put 12v to them. They both work fine. I jumpered the temp sensor and checked for power on the other plug (nada). I swapped relays, still no power going to the other plug. I'd like to get this working properly. --- What causes the fans to come on when only plugged into the a/c condenser fan plug

Old 03-12-2018, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Both fans should turn on when the engine is running to cool the radiator & a/c condenser.

The signal can come from the coolant temperature switch, or the a/c switch inside your car. Did your fans turn on when you jumped that temp sensor (even with no power on the original connector)?

Your next test will be on the relay socket in the engine bay fuse box and a volt meter. There should be 4 slots in the relay socket. 2 of the slots should have 12V to ground (use negative battery post as your ground). 1 slot should have ground only when that temp sensor is jumped. It will be open to ground with the temp sensor and a/c turned off inside the car. The 4th pin will be the connection from the relay to the fan motor.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Fans did not come on when jumpered at temp sensor. Will check relay socket

Old 03-12-2018, 11:20 AM

Side question.. ( I dont have an ac belt yet ) but if I turn the car to ON, and turn on the a/c switch inside the car, should the fans come on?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:50 PM

with jumper and without jumper

Old 03-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

The a/c pressure switch has to be a closed circuit (charged system) to ground the fan relays and turn on the fans.

Look at the pins of the relay. The 12V constant pin and the no change pin should be copper (or some higher quality metal). If you jumped 12V constant to the no-change, the unplugged socket should get power.

When you touched the test light to socket that turned on your fans, your test light supplied a ground to the circuit. You would want to test ONLY that pin by hooking the test light up to the + battery post, then see if the light turns on when you jump that fan switch.

What are the wire colors going to the fan switch you are jumping?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:16 PM

Switch im jumping

Quick Reply: Cooling Fans Issue