General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling and Radiator Fans not coming on even with A/C switch to ON

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Default Cooling and Radiator Fans not coming on even with A/C switch to ON

I have a 1992 accord, both of my fans will not come on even with the a/c switch to on. I jumpered the fans throught the condenser relay connector ylk/blk and red, and both fans will come on when I turn the A/C switch on. So, I think the fan motors are okay. I checked the no. 2 fuse and it is good. I am lost as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

When you switch the a/c to on, does the clutch plate in front of the a/c compressor pulley engage and spin with the pulley?

Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 PM

I think it does. The whole pulley seems to be spinning when the engine starts.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Got to YouTube.com and search XU_A4wNuHXI

This is a video on a basic a/c performance test. About half way through the video, he shows the a/c pulley and how the clutch plate should engage.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Thank you, PAHonda.

What does it have to do with the fans not working, just curious. The fans do come on when I jumpered the connector. I am just a novice, but just curious.

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:45 PM

Hi PAHonda,

I watched the video and checked a/c compressor pulley. It did not engaged when the A/C switch is on.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 PM

hey, i had a similar well bassically the same issue!

so what i was told, is let car idle 10-15 minutes, the rad fan "passenger side should turn on, if it doesnt and the temp guage goes higher than usual, you have an issue.

my car was not running either fan, at any temp, even with the ac on, turned out that my a/c high line has a pin hole in it and the a/c refridgerant leaked out and stopped the a/c from engaging there for the fans would not spin, as for why the fans dont run when the car got warm was the temp switch A, it controls when the fan comes on. look at your service manual for the location, and jump the wires if the fan comes on then its the switch, very easy to replace, and only takes 10 mins to install!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is heater blower coming on and running in any fan speed position? If not, the blower switch may be open or blower ground (G401/402 on 90 Accord) may be cut/damaged/corroded. This would disable the AC.

good luck

Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Is heater blower coming on and running in any fan speed position? If not, the blower switch may be open or blower ground (G401/402 on 90 Accord) may be cut/damaged/corroded. This would disable the AC.

good luck

hey texashonda,

i believe he is refering to the engine cooling fans and not the heater fan. good looks though.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Okay. Just tested the A/C Pressure switch and jumpered it. Both fans came on and the compressor clutch did engage. So, any ideas?

Quick Reply: Cooling and Radiator Fans not coming on even with A/C switch to ON