General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank bolt that wont budge!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Crank bolt that wont budge!

Minor point. Don't use the restraint tool w/ the air impact wrench. This is asking for damage to restraint tool or attached breaker bar, and it's not needed w/ an impact tool. Inertia of crankshaft, engine, etc provides plenty of restraint.

Based on my own experience and others I've read about, I think the breakout torque can reach 800-1000 ft-lbs. This amount of torque is difficult to get from an impact wrench, but the vibration from impact may reduce the required torque. However, I've seen some power air impacts defeated by this bolt, so I don't think you can be sure of success w/ an air or electric impact.

good luck

Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Administrator

I think this would be a Job for Super Desert out in Tuscon, Az

Truck the car out to him and Presto..off it will come [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 11-17-2007, 10:56 PM

If you have AAA you can get the car towed 5 miles for free. I suggest you have it towed to the nearest garage and have them break it loose. You should be able to get AAA to tow it back as well, but you may need to argue with them about it.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:58 PM

I work as a tech for a ford dealer and have been working on it in my bay so i got the air just dont have a strong enough gun i guess

Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: wietgr

I work as a tech for a ford dealer and have been working on it in my bay so i got the air just dont have a strong enough gun i guess
How long did you let your air impact wrench continuously pound away on that bolt? Believe it or not, it can take a few minutes of continuous pounding to loosen it.

As you know, it takes alarge compressorto operate a big wrench for that long without losing pressure. If your shop has such a machine, putin your ear plugs andtry your 3/4" wrench again. I'd give it at least5 minutes of continuous poundingbefore concluding that the wrench is not going to work.

Please let us know what happens.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 AM

This morning when I came into the shop I saw that a co-worker of mine had just bought a brand new IR Titanium 1/2" Impact. He said he wanted to test it out on the crank bolt. Later on while I was working on a customers vehicle he Came up and told me that he had broken the head of the bolt off. My stomach dropped, I felt sick. I walked over to my car to see what looked like a brokenbolt. I nearly lost it! He then pulled thecrank bolt out of his pocket andit was fully intact. He had put a pipe plug in the bolt hole to make me think it was broken. I didnt think it was very funny but all the guys in the shop sure did.

So the bolts out and im back in buisness, hopefully ill have it running by turkey day. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:39 AM

ROFL!! Dude, that really is funny! A bit of "grease monkey" humor if you will! You got to hand it to that guy for being brave enough to pull that. He may have eaten a fist on a bad day.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

LOL .... nice ...... got it with a 1/2" ..... impressive!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: wietgr

This morning when I came into the shop I saw that a co-worker of mine had just bought a brand new IR Titanium 1/2" Impact. He said he wanted to test it out on the crank bolt. Later on while I was working on a customers vehicle he Came up and told me that he had broken the head of the bolt off. My stomach dropped, I felt sick. I walked over to my car to see what looked like a brokenbolt. I nearly lost it! ................................
I know how you felt because I got the some ofsame feeling just reading what you said.

But I've got to admit that your fellow tech has prettywicked sense of humor. At least he didn't let you suffer for too long.

Would you be kind enough to ask the guy how long he had to let the wrenchpound on the bolt?

You mentioned that you removed the bolt to do a timing belt job. Just in case you haven't done an Accord timing belt job before,here's some additional information with photos:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_22119/mpage_2/tm.htm

Good luck on the rest of the job.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 AM

He said it was only on there for about ten seconds, he useda brand new gun though. I think im going to get one when ine finally bites the dust

Quick Reply: Crank bolt that wont budge!