General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank - No start

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Default Crank - No start

Hi

I have a 1990 Accord EX, manual trans. 261K Yesterday I drove it about 30 miles. Parked it at home for a few hours. When I started it again it took a few seconds extra to turn over. I drove it about 15 miles making one stop along the way. I parked it for about 3 hours. When I tried starting it the engine turned over and started for a second and cut out. After trying for about 20 minutes I had it towed home. This AM it starts right up and runs fine. Any insight out there as to whats up?

Old 06-19-2010, 12:11 PM

Is the weather HOT? I have had this in other kinds of cars, the in-tank fuel pump might be going out. But with Honda's; you never know. It could be any number of things! Yunno? Your car is a little old, after years and years the electronic stuff gets old and tired. You will have to keep checking. When it died did it sputter and cough or just die like someone shut off the key? Let us know.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Problem with the main relay is common, especially when the interior is hot.

After it's parked in the sun, turn the key to ON but not immediately to START. Listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds then stop. If it doesn't do that, suspect the main relay. Especially if the pump runs OK when the interior is cool.

Search "main relay" for some instructions on re-melting solder joints on the circuit board inside the main relay. Cracked solder is the typical reason for failure.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:13 PM

It was hot. I am in Maine and its been 90 (believe it or not). It didn't cough though. It just shut right down. The car has had a good long life but I was hoping to dial it up to 300K before putting it to rest. I didn't think to listen for the fuel pump when I was messing w/it last night.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need to diagnose if it is lack of spark,,,( igniter, coil, cap/rotor) or lack of fuel,,( main relay, fuel pump ) ....

Old 06-19-2010, 03:00 PM

its hard to diagnose when I don't have the symptoms to work through

Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

What desert means is that you should try to figure out if you have a lack of spark or lack of fuel when it isn't starting.

Listening for the fuel pump is a good start. If the sound of the pump is missing for those two seconds when you turn the key to II before you start the car, something is up with the main relay, the fuel pump, or possibly the ignition switch.

A timing light would be the simplest way to verify that you have spark. Alternatively, you can use an old spark plug and hook on of the spark plug wires up to it. Touch the threads to ground (or pick up a spark tester that will clip onto the valve cover). You will need someone to try to start the car while you watch in the engine bay when the car isn't starting.