General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank, but no start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 PM
jrparks
Unregistered
Default crank, but no start.

Fora couple weeksmy '93 Accord had been sputtering occasionally at all speeds. As I was pulling out of the driveway it just died on me. After several attempts to restart, it finally fired and I was on my way, and about a mile down the road it died on me again. It will crank and turn over but I don't think there is any combustion. I replaced the fuel filter, and that didn't help. And I am positive there is fuel getting to the injectors. I pulled off the coil wire and there is no spark. When I checked the resistance on the coil terminals, the primary was at 0.4 ohms-when it should be at 0.6-0.8ohms. Is this enough to cause my problem? or is it something else? Would replacing the coil fix my problem???

Thanks,
jrparks
'93 accord ex

Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: crank, but no start.

Coil is a likely possibility. Check the distributor cap and rotor for cracks. Check wires at night w/ spray of water over the wires looking for sparks jumping.

The primary which you measured is usally not the problem, and your measurement may be OK. It is difficult to measure the primary resistance w/ sufficient accuracy. Only a dead short would indicate problems. Check the secondary resistance. On earlier models it was 13.2-19.8 Kohms. Variation is primarily due to temperature.

good luck

Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: crank, but no start.

go to our DIY section there is a write up on HOW to chk for bad coil or ignitor ,,when there is no spark