General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cruise control doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default cruise control doesnt work

My cruise on/ off button lights up but no light on the instrument cluster lights up or steering wheel button will not set. What can i do to fix this? I only know to check for vacuum leaks other then that im not sure where else to look. Any suggestions?

Old 07-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

What year is this car?

Any recent work done?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM

Check fuses

Old 07-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

woww. lol. cant believe i forgot to tell you all the year. it was off my phone. i have a 1991 EX. i checked the fuses as well and there good. the cruise control wasnt working when i bought it off craigslist from a mechanic. i can try calling him but i dought it was working when he picked it up from his friends parents house where it sat for a year or so. he fixed it up and tuned it up to get it running again. only has 157,000 miles on it. i would also like to do a complete transmission flush and put new fluid and filter in it. can anyone point me to some links that will explain in detail how to do this? im going to do some research on the internet but my main concern in this thread is to figure out how to test if the button on the steering wheel is working and how to get the cruise light to come on in the instrument cluster.

thanks everybody for your help

Last edited by x13darkmatter; 07-07-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you checked fuse 4 in the under-dash fuse box? Next likely suspect is the main switch (not likely as you say cruise panel light comes on).

Suggest purchasing or downloading a 90-93 Accord manual. See Online Manuals links in DIY forum.

For automatic transmission complete fluid displacement see following link:
10 Min Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush + Replacement (Most Cars) - YouTube

Note the car in the video is an accord.

good luck

Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

funny... i just watched that video and bookmarked it. definitely informative. I checked all cruise control fuses under the dash. theres only one and it is good. its a 7.5A. I also heard that for an unknown reason that has never been solved transmissions that are going bad will go bad right after doing a tranny flush. I should first check for a brown colored fluid, burnt smell, or metal shavings in the in the dip stick before doing a flush. is this true what i heard?

thanks

Old 07-07-2012, 09:21 PM

well for the cruise control it may be the cruise control computer.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 PM

There are anecdotal reports of transmission failures after commercial power flushing. I would not call the full fluid change a flush since fluid is not recirculated, but I don't know what the process is for a commerical flush. It may be similar to the process described in the video.

The same ATF gets circulated endlessly from reservoir-trans-torque converter-reservoir during normal operation. When you replace all fluid you divert the stream from transmission to cooler to a catch pan while replacing the dumped fluid w/ fresh fluid in the reservoir.

It may be than all new fluid has some properties (cleaning of deposits) that could result in problems.

There's always the option to only replace the reservoir fluid, about 1/2 the total.

I've only used this procedure once on a Subaru, and have always drain/replaced, however I never had burnt and old fluid in my cars.

If you decide to do a total replacement, you will need to have your qts of ATF open and ready to dump. The rate of displacement is perhaps 4-6 qts per minute and is diffciult to keep pace with.

I used a slightly different replacement procedure on my Subaru, and cut the engine after 10-15 secs of fluid pumping, added a fresh quart of ATF, cranked engine and repeated.

good luck

Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Back to the cruise, one thing you might check is the brake light switch. If it is out of adjustment, it is not "closed" when the pedal is at "rest-no brakes being applied". So the system will not come on becase it thinks you are hitting the brakes...the switch will come on but it doesn't "set".

Last edited by poorman212; 07-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 AM

Cruise can't set if the cruise set switch on the steering wheel is faulty. You can check via the connector on the steering column. You will have to remove the steering column shroud to access the connector.

Again the download manual is very helpful for this test; shroud removal and circuit diagram.

good luck

Quick Reply: cruise control doesnt work