General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Axles Replacement Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Default CV Axles Replacement Issues

Originally Posted by Rick
What about topping of the transmission fluid, must you use Honda fluid or can you use DextronIII?
I have always been told that you have to use fluids designed for Honda, just to be safe. I'm doing this over my next two days off, wish me luck!!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by rhamza161
I have always been told that you have to use fluids designed for Honda, just to be safe. I'm doing this over my next two days off, wish me luck!!
This is not a hard job at all. If the knuckle hasn't been off your car in a while you'll want a good heavy hammer. You'll also need a breaker bar for the axle nut and wishbone if you don't have a decent air tool setup. Good luck, and post if you have any issues. I just got done doing this.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:06 AM

It actually went really well. It took longer than I expected, a little over 4 hours but it was the first time I've done something like this by myself.

The only problem is that it pulls to the left (the side that I had the hardest time with not surprisingly). Not sure what could have changed... I'll take it to an alignment shop as soon as I can get above the bills/girlfriend that keep draining me of any extra cash I might get to save up. lol (can't complain though!)

Old 10-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If your ride was aligned with the partially shot axle it may need to be redone. Other than that, any time you knock you tie rod or lower (and maybe upper, depending on how you did it) ball joint loose, it could've set in a different position when you tightened everything up. If you don't want to part with the 80 - 100 bucks for an alignment there is some good videos on how to an 'at home' redneckish alignment yourself. I did it, and it drives straighter and more true than the shop after all of my suspension work. It might be worth a shot.

Don't know if you live where is snows and freezes, but the last thing you want is a car that wants to wonder if that's the case.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

The axle doesn't control the suspension angles. So changing the axle won't change the alignment.

If you separate a balljoint by popping out the tapered stud, that goes back together in the same alignment.

Replacing a balljoint, tie-rod, or some other components will require alignment. Just think about unbolting anything and being able to move it around within the clearance of the bolt holes, THAT will require alignment.