Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   cv boot replacement inquiry (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/cv-boot-replacement-inquiry-56221/)

sgull 08-14-2013 04:14 PM

cv boot replacement inquiry

1 Attachment(s)
On inspecting the condition of the CV joint boots on the right side (92 Accord DX), I see the rubber has some cracking but it's not all the way through (yet) anywhere. The left side half shaft was changed out about a year ago so boots are still fine on that side. So I was wondering about the idea of changing just the boots on the right side, before they crack all the way through and the grease inside gets contaminated. Some say just replace the whole half shaft but I wonder why do that (spend that much more for a new halfshaft) if it's just the boots that needs changing at this point. Any comments appreciated.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ine=1376514893

UhOh 08-15-2013 12:24 AM

I tried a boot only replacement on a different car;
replacement boot seal lasted maybe 10,000.
I felt it was a waste, took time out of my life to do and won't try it again.

It's not yet broken:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

WheelBrokerAng 08-15-2013 12:31 AM

If you have a new CV shaft installed then I would advise that you do the Boot replacement..

Wheelbrokerang :)

JimBlake 08-15-2013 07:11 AM

Is that cracking through the caked-on dirt? Or cracking partway through the rubber? If the rubber is cracking, I'd get those replaced before they split open. Kinda unpredictable how long they will last.

I've done boot replacements on several of my cars with good results. That's along with cleaning & re-packing the CV joints.

But for Hondas in particular, it seems that replacement axles are much cheaper than those for VW or Saab, so replacing the axle is a real popular way to deal with it.

sgull 08-15-2013 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 329679)
Is that cracking through the caked-on dirt? Or cracking partway through the rubber? If the rubber is cracking, I'd get those replaced before they split open. Kinda unpredictable how long they will last. I've done boot replacements on several of my cars with good results. That's along with cleaning & re-packing the CV joints. But for Hondas in particular, it seems that replacement axles are much cheaper than those for VW or Saab, so replacing the axle is a real popular way to deal with it.

That's cracking partway through the rubber, not just through cake-on dirt. Yes, that's what I was considering, going ahead and replace them (or the entire halfshaft assembly I suppose) before they split open (don't particularly want/like the grease slung out along the underside of the car when that happens, for one thing). I checked prices for a replacement Cardone axle assembly for the vehicle and it'd be 45 bucks which isn't too bad, although my location (in SE Alaska) shipping is another 30 bucks.

sgull 08-15-2013 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng (Post 329664)
If you have a new CV shaft installed then I would advise that you do the Boot replacement..

I'm not quite clear on that advice.

sgull 08-15-2013 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by UhOh (Post 329662)
I tried a boot only replacement on a different car; replacement boot seal lasted maybe 10,000. I felt it was a waste, took time out of my life to do and won't try it again. It's not yet broken: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I definitely understand that line of reasoning, but we know it won't be long before the cracking rubber splits open, and the grease inside probably gets slung out all over the underside of the vehicle. I was thinking along the lines of preventative maintenance, just fix it now if I can instead of waiting until it gets worse and more than likely I end up having to deal with at a less convenient time. I could wait I suppose, until it splits open, and the joint starts "clicking". Not sure how well I'm going to be able to hear this clicking when/if it happens anyway, nor if I want to be having to listen for it.

I felt it was a waste, took time out of my life to do and won't try it again
As far as replacing the boots only, the above-quoted comment is definitely one I have to consider against the below-quoted one:

I've done boot replacements on several of my cars with good results

poorman212 08-16-2013 06:02 PM

Pick up a new/reman shaft from the local parts store - I know there is one not too far from you......and call it a day.

You could just keep going until it totally goes but if your luck is like mine - that would happen in the dead of winter and your winters are something else.

sgull 08-16-2013 06:41 PM

Pick up a new/reman shaft from the local parts store - I know there is one not too far from you......and call it a day.
Okay then. Will do.

You could just keep going until it totally goes but if your luck is like mine - that would happen in the dead of winter
Of course, in the dead of winter. My thoughts exactly. Yeah I'll just take care of now, in August instead. And call it a day.

kris_loehr 08-30-2013 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by sgull (Post 329627)
On inspecting the condition of the CV joint boots on the right side (92 Accord DX), I see the rubber has some cracking but it's not all the way through (yet) anywhere. The left side half shaft was changed out about a year ago so boots are still fine on that side. So I was wondering about the idea of changing just the boots on the right side, before they crack all the way through and the grease inside gets contaminated. Some say just replace the whole half shaft but I wonder why do that (spend that much more for a new halfshaft) if it's just the boots that needs changing at this point. Any comments appreciated.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ine=1376514893

If you have the skills to do just the boot than that is all you need but if you don't get the whole shaft. If you buy OEM Honda boots and use the correct tools to install the clamps than than the joints should last a long time. If there is water in the joints than you will have to examine the CV joint for damage before going the boot only route.