General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV BOOT split

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Default CV BOOT split

Was driving the Honda (daughters car) last week while she was out of town and right away I hear a
mettalic click clack scraping noise. Thought it must be the brakes, so I take off the pasenger side front
wheel to inspect. I then notice the CV boot is split on top and the grease has been slinging around
inside the wheel. It was like that when we bought it 2 months ago since I see the grease on thr rear wheel
also, I have not rotated yet. Had my mechanic replace axle, boot, bearing for $200.00.
The other side looks to be fine but was wondering if it will go out also? How common is this?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: CV BOOT split

They split every so often... as for the joint actually going out, it happens, not too often. Usually when the boot splits and the grease is gone will you have issues.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Years ago, whenI was rookie tech, there was this one customer that would always come into the shop during his oil change and spray the boots with silicone.
As far as I know he was still running the same boots 5 years later when I moved to another dealer.

No gravy CV boot job from that guy.......[sm=smiley19.gif]

Old 12-04-2008, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: streetwise

Was driving the Honda (daughters car) last week while she was out of town and right away I hear a
mettalic click clack scraping noise. Thought it must be the brakes, so I take off the pasenger side front
wheel to inspect. I then notice the CV boot is split on top and the grease has been slinging around
inside the wheel. It was like that when we bought it 2 months ago since I see the grease on thr rear wheel
also, I have not rotated yet. Had my mechanic replace axle, boot, bearing for $200.00.
The other side looks to be fine but was wondering if it will go out also? How common is this?
The adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. If it'll make you feel good, then do it, otherwise I wouldn't. and $200? Damn, I got brand new ones (not remanufactured) from this parts distributor in a local industrial park for about $50 each and installed them myself for free dollars. Guess it depends on your own mechanic skills.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Yeah, I could have done it myself but it was the day before Thanksgiving and I didnt feel like driving around
looking for parts or taking a chance on some freak problem. One mechanic said he would do it for $150. but
wouldnt be working until Monday. I called a Honda dealer just for grins and they wanted $250 for just
replacing the boot and grease. The guy I took it to did it in 1 hour. He has a delivery service bring him
parts. So he actually had the parts before I got the car to him.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Yeah it's kind of an odd joint. It would make more sense to me if....well.....okay so I can't think of a better design. Props to whoever made that thing up.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^ You should be thankful. If someone hadn't invented the constant velocity joint we wouldn't have independent suspensions; wed all be running around with solid axles still.

Pickup truck fail?

Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Only caution I would give is to make sure you have a warranty on the part and labor if possible. I've found that aftermarket CV axles have a high failure rate.

Keep watch on your CV joints and try to replace the boots if possible. I've managed to do this on several occasions. It is one messy job to replace a CV axle boot.

good luck

Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 PM

I guess I got lucky, my '98 Accord with 279k miles still has the same original boots.