General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Joint/suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM
bhkcpa
Unregistered
Default CV Joint/suspension question

I get a loud noise (sounds like a loud valve tap) when I bear/turn left from theleft tire area and a much quiter but same noise when I turn right from same area. I initially thought it was the CV joint. If neither boot is torn can the CV joint still go bad? If not, what are the other possibilities and what tests can I perform to identify problem? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CV Joint/suspension question

The CV joint can still go bad even if the boot isn't torn. You may be able to verifyby spinning things when the car is up in the air.The absolute way is to remove the brake caliper & axle, so you can spin the bearing by itself.

Then work the axle by itself, but you probablyaren't gonna be able to apply the type of forces it takes to reproduce the noise. You 'prove' it's the axle by ruling out the other possibilities like wheel bearings.

The description "like a valve tap" sounds like the CV joint. A bad wheel bearing is more often like a growling or howling noise.

If you can make it happen by driving slow &turning sharply in a parking lot, maybe someone can stand outside. Maybe(??) they can tell whether the sound is coming from further inboard, like tranny or differential noise. But I bet it's the CV joint.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 PM
bhkcpa
Unregistered

Thanks Jim, I was inclined to think it was the CV joint since it didn't appear to be the bearing from the noise it was making.Is this a common problemfor 99 Honda Accordsand front wheel drives in general?I am going to change the drive shaft assembly myself as it appears not to be an insurmountable task by a DIY'er. Are there any warnings/advice I should know ahead of time? Thanks again in advance.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Well, bearing or CV joint - neither one stands out as being improbable. You'll have the opportunity to spin the bearing when the axle is disconnected.

Drain the tranny fluid since it'll come pouring out anyway when you take the axle out.