General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Joints? Now with pics. MPG problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Default RE: CV Joints or Brakes rubbing?

Maybe DIY the job? orale!

Take a look and see if u wanna tackle it

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=173647

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=267087

One is of the axle replacement the other is just of the boot. Either way, both good DIY's and can help save you some cash to buy more muscle milk. muscle milk (banana creme) ftw!

Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: ckebottle

Maybe DIY the job? orale!

Take a look and see if u wanna tackle it

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=173647

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=267087

One is of the axle replacement the other is just of the boot. Either way, both good DIY's and can help save you some cash to buy more muscle milk. muscle milk (banana creme) ftw!
Have to be a member to see the threads[>:]. I hate it when they do that.

I am going in tomorrow to get it replaced somewhere. Most likely Midas, but I will check around. Also I am going to buy a couple of the "complete fuel systen cleaner" additives for like $6. My car is under 1/4 so maybe the super concentration will help out the MPG.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:17 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Oh, and if I dont get in tommorow, can I spray wd40 in there as a band aid until its fixed?

Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

WD-40 might be really bad. It'll wash out what grease is still there, & then it'll dry out. Better to stuff a bunch of grease inside.

If the boot has been open for awhile, dirt has gotten in there, then I'd replace the axle not just the boot.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Right. They will replace the inner boot, outer boot, and half shaft and joint. Oh well, im going in on Wednesday @ the latest.

As far as the cracked boot....im thinking of coating it in rubber cement or rtf or something so it doesnt split open. What do you guys think of those quick connect boot kits?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

If you're going in wednesday, and they ARE going to replace the axle assembly, then I wouldn't bother. RTV or any kind of stuff to glue that together probably won't hold more than a mile of driving anyway.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I meant the other boot. Sorry for the confusion.

The drivers side boot is completely torn open. Which will be replaced.
The passenger side outer boot is cracked, but not all the way through.

Think I should buy or have them install a quick replace boot on the passenger side since they'll be working on her?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

The surface cracks might last for months before splitting open. OTOH, any kind of glue you put over it will probably not flex as well as the boot, & maybe THAT will cause it to tear thru.

I don't trust the quickie repair split boots. But I've never used one, so it's just a vague feeling that it'll come apart.

Why not use a proper boot?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:19 AM

If you then why even waste the time and money? Go to O'Reilly and get two NEW half shafts for $59 each, no core. Have the shop put them in and your worries are gone.
Anything short of that and you are wasting money. Pay them now, or pay them later. Paying now is the cheapest in the long run.

Just my $0.02

Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would replace the boot. Why? The record of take-backs on the "rebuilt CV shafts" from AZ, et al is not good. Some are defective from get-go and require re-doing the CV axle job. Some have had to replace axle twice to get a good CV axle.

I have replaced several CV axles boots to re-use a known good CV axle. If boot isn't broken, the axle should be fine. You can have boots replaced at some of the CV axle repair shops in large metropolitan areas. It's a fairly tedious job to DIY, but can be done. I've been to these shops and seen how the "overhaul" CV axles. It's not pretty.

good luck

Quick Reply: CV Joints? Now with pics. MPG problem.