General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Shaft Snapped into pieces

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Default CV Shaft Snapped into pieces

I bought a 1997 Accord with full coil-over suspension. I changed out the transmission with out a problem. Shortly after, I have gone through 3 half-shafts on the passenger side. It always snaps at the outboard joint (by the wheel knuckle). After the first two attempts I took it to a reputable mechanic. Within 1000 miles it happened again. I took it back and they couldn't find any problem and recommended another shop. I took it there told them this long story and they just called with the same story "We can't find anything wrong", and are going to recommend someone else. But before I get a third opinion does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Or I should be looking for/at?

Other possibly useful info: While it is an Accord I found out the person I purchased it from had the front suspension swapped to a Prelude, most likely with the lowering kit & engine; but, I don't think that should matter. Also, every time it has snapped it has been in reverse with the wheels turned completely to the right. Engine is a H22B; Transmission was a P2A4 and I changed to a P2U5. Finally, I don't believe there is a camber kit installed (not sure if that would make a difference based on other posts I have read from this forum). I have searched the DIY section and haven't found anything that addresses this issue. Help the newbie!

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not so familiar with the transmission abbreviations. What year make and model of Honda had the original and replacement transmission?

Do you know all of the components swapped from the Prelude to your Accord?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would make the guess that the suspension changes are exceeding the angles your outer CV joint was made to run at. What diameter wheels are you running? I have read about this happening with lift kits on four wheelers with oversized tires. My second guess would be with the marriage of Prelude and Accord parts in wondering which Axles to run of the two. If the axle length is too long there will be a lot of stress on the joint as it is made to function with fee play. It is hard to say without working on the vehicle.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 AM

Original Make/Model was a 1997 Accord EX Sedan. The replacement suspension was from a 1996 Prelude (complete front assembly). To the best of my knowledge the replacement trans was a European model Accord EX (only difference is supposed to be the gear ratios). On the left side I had to replace the CV (operator error during disassembly ) I put a 1997 Prelude CV/Intermediate shaft in without a problem. On the right side when I replaced it the first time I tried to put in a 1997 Prelude CV, it seemed to be the right fit, but when I went to torque down the spindle nut the CV was binding on the four bolts that connect the hub assembly with the rotor. So, I exchanged it for the Accord part, drove about 250 miles and snapped it. It is possible that the first prelude part was not machined correctly, because there was a slight difference in the outer dimensions of the CV from the original Accord part to the Prelude replacement. The first "shop" ordered both parts (Accord/Prelude) and said there was no difference in overall length or with the outer CV Joint. Wheels are 18". I have not adjusted ride height, but it is about as low as it probably should be (maybe even too low? Would raising it some help?). Also, in my infinite wisdom I left out an important fact .. previous owner said it was hit on that side. Supposedly the shop has checked the chassis for "straightness"? It doesn't appear to be distorted in any way (my interpretation). The weirdness is the problem is only happening on the right side. If it were incompatibilities between the Prelude/Accord shouldn't I expect similar issues on the left? Finally, the first shop seems to think the wheel hub needs to be moved closer to the vehicle center line. What options do I have to make that happen?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Why would someone do that? I used to do prototypes at Roush for Fords who made changes like this and lots of headaches to get things to work. From working there the subframe and Powertrain must match and assuming the subframe bolts up correctly from a Prelude to an Accord than you have parts selection. I also wonder about the engine mount at the timing belt cover area in regard to how that lines up. The Prelude axle hitting the bolts seems to be a great place to start as it should have bolted up if you have the complete Prelude suspension on that side and the axles are the same between the two years.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
I would make the guess that the suspension changes are exceeding the angles your outer CV joint was made to run at. .
I would have to say the same thing

Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 PM

With your situation this is just an educated guess but with how you said the right side axle didn’t fit correctly when you tighten up the nut and the failure happened with the wheels turned. I am wondering if the right side steering knuckle is not the same as the rest.