General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangerous Steering.......Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 05:51 PM
theboomanchu
Unregistered
Default Dangerous Steering.......Help Please!

I am diagnosing my kids '91 Accord LX, and wonder if anyone else has ever had this problem. The car drives OK when it is cold, but as it warms up, the steering wheel starts to "jerk" a bit to the left intermittently. It is not a transfer of bumps or a tire problem through the linkage. It seems to be coming from the rack itself, as though it is a power steering valve or spool in the rack with a broken spring or something. It has been getting worse, and I am afraid one of these times it will do it big time when another vehicle is coming the other way and cause a Head-on. Is this something inherent in the design that can go wrong or has no one else seen this in Accords? Please Help!!!!!

Old 02-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Default RE: Dangerous Steering.......Help Please!

Something that dangerous needs to be evaluated and repaired by an authorized dealer or mechanic, not a bunch of clucks like me on a forum!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

agreed it probably needs a new rack and possibly some other suspension parts. dont drive it anymore though.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:27 AM
theboomanchu
Unregistered

Oh by all means, the car already is parked and has been, but I was hoping that this was a problem this car was possibly known for to avoid my kid having to spend the money for a dealer diagnosis. As far as the replacement of the rack, I have been a dealer (domestic cars) mechanic in the past and can do the work. Was just hoping maybe this was just a "Honda Thing".

Thanks for the replies!

Old 02-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

no absolutely not.....the steering system on your honda was designed to operate usefully ..........forever. ..but....there are some power steering hoses that if they start leaking, may make the rack difficult to turn. also, only HONDA power steering fluid can be used in the system. if anything else has been used in there for any length of time....everything will need to be replaced. pump rack and all hoses.