General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash/Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Default RE: Dash/Tail Lights

I took the plug off, and if I put that #32 fuse in.. the tail lights stay on whether the combo switch is on/off/plugged in/unplugged.. somehow there is constant power to the red/black. any idea?

Old 09-23-2006, 03:15 PM

As long as I'm not crazy I'm assuming you're talking about the steering column mounted combo light switch, if that's the case I've got the manual for my 94 EX and it appears to be a fairly straight forward job, let me know if you need it

Old 09-23-2006, 03:30 PM

I'm not sure that it is the switch, usually there would be power at the red/green wire, UNTIL you turn the switch.. then the red/black would then get power.. right? When my #32 fuse is in.. both wires are hot.. so the switch is useless.. I have no clue what to do next.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:37 PM

are you testing the wires on the 20 pin connector side.... send me your e-mail (just pm me) and I'll send you the manual pages from a 94 accord (should be almost Idential) for testing/repair on that section, However, if you're testing the 20-pin connector and all of those wires are hot all of the time (disconnected from the switch) then you have a different problem, if you're testing them while the switch is still connected then I'd say you've got a faulty switch

Old 09-23-2006, 03:39 PM

Here's the test pattern/information, let us know the results

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/0A9D6B13EF214BEF863BC885F5018848.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-23-2006, 03:48 PM

I am testing the 20 Pin connector, the middle plugs are the ones you mentioned (red/green: coming from fusebox & red/black : SHOULD be hot when plugged to switch and switch is ON) but the red/black is hot when I am testing with the 20 pin unplugged from the switch

I guess that means I have another problem.. any ideas at all?

Maybe tonight I can plug the fuse in when I leave, unplug it when I park.. but that's temporary so I can drive tonight.. but this REALLY is frustrating. Thanks for the help

Old 09-23-2006, 03:55 PM

How good are you at reading wiring diagrams? *L* Here's the diagram it almost sounds like a wiring harness issue to me but I'm not so good with electrical crap unless I'm in front of it, read through this diagram and it should help, if your red/black wire is constantly hot and it's disconnected from the switch then start tracing the harness and see if you can find any damage

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/2F4210314A6440A9854D70D5E5F6FE85.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-23-2006, 04:02 PM

I'm not good with that type of wiring at all.. especially reading from one of those diagrams.. this sucks

Do you see any spots on the diagram that seem like they'd be a common problem? Maybe something else that's stuck on?

I don't know where to start even..

Old 09-23-2006, 04:03 PM

with that fuse in do your headlights stay on as well? you may have a ground wire issue too... start tracing that harnes and i'll bet you'll find something, looke for an area where it was "messed" with

Old 09-23-2006, 04:11 PM

alright check this out, follow the diagram from the upper left corner, you'll see where it goes to fuse #32, from there it goes down to the 20-pin harness that you've been testing, the numbers/colors are the pin locations/wires, since you've got a constant hot lead just start following that wire and see where it's getting it's power from, not the easiest thing in the world to do but it's the poorman's way of tracing it...

Are your headlights on all the time with that fuse in? probably a dumb question but I'm curious....

In that diagram the dashed lines happen when the switch it moved, so the red/black wire (#20) should ONLY be hot if the switch is connected/on, you disconnected the harness from the steering column correct? so the switch is not even in play/in question here right? (I know I already asked that but a bad wiring job/harness seems strange unless they've got aftermarket lights on the car somewhere...) red/black is a dead wire without that switch connected.... this sounds funky...

Quick Reply: Dash/Tail Lights