General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperatley SEEKING HELP 91 Accord ECU Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 PM
hurraquio
Unregistered
Default Desperatley SEEKING HELP 91 Accord ECU Problem!!!

Hello guys, new here im sal,

do any of you guys know how to trouble shoot the ECU? or at least point me in the right direction. well let me gets started.

I took my Accord in to a shop to get the speed sensor changed, but that didnt make the speedometer work, i had already changed the instrument cluster, however the mechanic was trying to trouble shoot and he got out some device that connects to the battery and has like a needle like tip ( i dont know what thats for) anyhow the car was running and all of a sudden it dies when he tuched on some wire, i didnt see which wire it was because i was in the car, however when i switched the swith back to the off then put it back on run and then tried to start it up but it just kept cranking. then did it again but this time i left in in on and the Check engine, Oil and Battery light stay on now meaning that probably the ECU is frozen or something, any of you guys know what to do with this any help would do me wonders thank you.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Default RE: Desperatley SEEKING HELP 91 Accord ECU Problem!!!

most likely he was using a test light and in his probing somehow blew a fuse or a sensitive part of the ecu.

i'd start with checking the ignition fuses and ecu fuses or check every fuse you can find for that matter.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Sounds like he blew a fuse to me too.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:30 PM
hurraquio
Unregistered

guys the mechanic got pissed and he basicly threw my car out, i did the manlyest thing there is to do and towed it back home with my dad's truck, however that mechanic was my friend also any whay the heck with him...

I Checked the fusees and Breakers but they all are fine. and i still get those lights on when i turn the key. what do you guys recomend?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

It can't hurt to call the mechanic to find out what wire he was probing when the car died.

I would short the service connector to see if there are any codes stored on the ecu. Use thin wire or a paper clip. Here is a link with the instructions: http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Also, try to figure out if you are getting a spark at the plug. Remove a plug and ground it to the engine block with the spark plug wire still attached. Try to start the car and see if you get a bright blue/white spark.

On the fuel side, listen for the fuel pump to whirl when you turn the key to the II position.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

when the key is in ON, the oil and battery light will always be on unless the engine is running.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM
hurraquio
Unregistered

i know that ^^^ but the Yellow Engine Light stays on and remains on while cranking

Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

so get the code and troubleshoot mate!

so wait... your friend threw you out of HIS shop because HE couldnt fix your car? wtf...

edit: honda ECU's are very reliable, and rarely ever go bad.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 PM
hurraquio
Unregistered

I tried it again and.... Nothing heres the process i do. first I turn the key to I then to II okay from II the Yellow engine light and batt and oil come on and stay on, i didnt hear the fuel pump and since its too dark to see ill check for a spark tommorow and let you guys know, and im going to start trouble shooting from the battery onward to the ECU

Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
hurraquio
Unregistered

yep my own friend dude, the only reason i didnt call the cops on his *** is becuase of the respect (which is now lost) i had for him. and i do recognize that its been giving me some problems but for them to f***k it up like that is just low, completely lost his ethnic. oh well good riddance, his shop has been a ghost town lately i wonder why

Quick Reply: Desperatley SEEKING HELP 91 Accord ECU Problem!!!