General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Default diagnostics

hi guys, i sold my 94 accord with 250 000km and bought a 1999 suzuki esteem. Does anyone know a good web site where someone could give me advice about my suzuki?
well here is my problem if anyone can help.
1999 suzuki esteem GL , 1.6 L , 5 speed. 91 000km (50 000 miles)
it takes the car 3 or 4 sometimes more tries to start it. when the car is warmed up it can get even harder to start but it always end up starting after many attempts. when i turn the key it doesnt start at all or sometimes it starts and cuts off right away. sometimes when the car is cold in the mornign it will start on the first try. When the car is is warmed up it might even stall when driving at slow speeds or when turning at slow speeds (like in a parking lot) when the car is stopped and if i turn the wheel to one side the car might stall. The longer thhe car is running the more problematic it is, if it is parked for an hour or so it wont act up as much. It seems like the rpms are weird it goes up and down and soemtimes just cuts off. i took it to a mechanic, who said it wasnt the starter, or the fuel pump, and the spark plugs looked good and wires etc. And he said if it was because it needed a tune up it woundl't drive smoothly, and would miss fire etc. so he ruled that out. I think it is an electrical problem , and my father- in law is a retired mechanic but he said this car is too modern for him to diagnos because it doesnt have a distributor. Any one know about electrical components, like rpm regulator or a sensor or something that would cause this. any help would be appreciated thanks.
or a place were i can get the wiring diagrams or a book on this car

Old 11-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Default RE: diagnostics

when you start turning it requires more power to drive the power steering pump and perhaps the rpm's aren't being adjusted properly... It defenitly sounds like a sensor to me... you can always order a book online or perhaps a local store will carry one.... What does it do when it won't start? any funny sounds or anything? perhaps a weak/bad alternator not providing enough charge so when you are at lower speeds it can't supply power for spark but it's still enough to charge the battery a little bit which is why the car eventually starts..... I'm guessing battery or alternator but I can't rule out the possibility of a sensor...

Old 11-11-2006, 08:57 PM

perhaps this helps too.... found it somewhere else and I'm not sure if the 98 and 99 are the same but anyway....

1998 Suzuki Esteem no-start, this vehicle had spark and the “noid” was ok, the fuel guage read empty though there was 12 gallons in the tank, when the guage read empty the vehicle would NOT start but if it read correctly it would start and run. There were no codes in the computers memory but there was no fuel pressure. Testing the entire fuel delivery electronic system from the fuel pump relay and the PCM , there is a Pink wire that comes from the fuel pump relay and goes directly to the fuel pump, this wire was showing 12.5V with the ignition “on” and then only dropped to 7.5V in about 2-3 seconds! Weird, Changed the fuel pump because it was NOT turning “on” for the 2-3 second “prime” even with voltage at the pump , the vehicle started as soon as we replaced the pump, again stalled and would’nt start . Again no fuel pressure but still power to the pump checking all grounds found a bad ground at the ground “bridge” behind the rear seat on passsenger side repaired the ground that supplied the fuel pimp and fuel guage sending unit, Replaced the “burned out fuel pump again ( this was causing the fuel pumps to fail) the car started and runs to this day perfectly! So grounds ar sooooo important!

Old 11-12-2006, 02:51 PM

Try checking the fuel pressure regulator. Im not familiar with suzuki engines but a lot of times a fuel pressure reg. can get old and start letting fuel pressure seep back through the return hose, and or sometimes out the vaccume hose which then doesn't let the engine get enough gas when trying to start, or when there is higher vaccume pressure (idling, low engine speeds). Pull off the rubber vaccume hose and if theres gas in the hose u need a new regulator.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

that was the first thing I was going to say (Fuel Pressure) but it looks like you got that covered. could be faulty fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator (I dont think so since it is intermittent)

Old 11-12-2006, 09:00 PM

i checked the pump check valve, Filter, Fuel rail, Pressure regulator, every thing is good, the pressure was 40 psi. i am thinking it could be the camshaft position sensor or the MAP sensor but the problem is i dont get a check engine light, so i am confused.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 PM

the check emgine light came on today and i got the code for the idle air control system (iac ) rpms too high.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:06 AM

i have been to a few mechanics but still no luck, because the aic valve is good, the lastes is that is could be that my valve timming is off... well it looks like i am gona take it to the suzuki dealer on thursday....