General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dies at half tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Default dies at half tank

In 2012 after driving all over and returning to Seattle I noticed the Accord wouldn't fire up very well when it was low on gas. Replaced fuel filter and fuel pump - used a new but cheap fuel pump. Car was the same. Added gas and it was ok. Figured out: *Below half tank it starts to die, especially when stopping or on a downhill incline.* Had to fill up after about 150 miles. Drove it like this till now.

Recently had fuel tank straps and fuel pump replaced with a "good" part. I was told that the little plastic bracket wasn't even present thus allowing it to rotate. Whew! Got the car back and made it to about 220 miles on a full tank and then to my surprise, same thing! At about 270, gauge still reading 1/3 tank left, I was stranded and had to get a gas can. So it's better..? but never was the problem, what else could it be before I go try to talk to the place that just did the fuel pump?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 PM

nothing from no one?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Almost A Senior Member

It sounds like the sending unit itself is bad, I would forego the used part in this application and spring for a new one, try rock auto .com

Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

When the car stalls and you need to add gas, how much gas does it take to fill up the tank?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I see possibility of two unrelated problems that might look like low available fuel quantity:

1) High fuel consumption. You should have at least 14-15 gallons usable fuel. If you're a conservative driver, 25 mpg is a good figure, so 350-375 miles should be easily achieved. You're far short of that figure so fuel is being consumed at more like 18-20 mpg. Note, if you are a "lead foot", this might be a good number. I used to fill my 90EX tank at about 300 miles and regularly got 25 mpg on 270K miles engine.

2) Fuel sensor movement is faulty. A new fuel level sensor is likely indicated, but fuel gauge movement should be tested by disconnecting fuel sensor in trunk under cover plate. Short yel/wht to blk w/ a jumper to the connector and turn keyswitch to ON. Fuel gauge should immediately begin to move toward F mark. Turn keyswitch OFF before reaching F mark to protect gauge movement. Failure to do so can damage the movement. If movement is OK, then a new fuel level sensor is indicated.

"I was told that the little plastic bracket wasn't even present thus allowing it to rotate." I have no idea what this means; fuel inlet screen perhaps.

good luck

Old 09-21-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
When the car stalls and you need to add gas, how much gas does it take to fill up the tank?
7.5 to 8 gal

Old 09-21-2014, 02:30 PM

My theory of bad gas gauge and low fuel mileage does not hold up to your information.

good luck

Old 09-22-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
My theory of bad gas gauge and low fuel mileage does not hold up to your information.

good luck
Agreed... I haven't seen that pump in person, but there could be a hose on the intake side that has a hole in it, when the fuel level gets below that hole, it begins to suck air instead of fuel. It's not a hard job to replace I don't think, they come out of the top from inside the car right?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:11 PM

That won't happen. The pump, if installed correctly has an flat inlet filter screen on the base of the pump. There should be a baffle in the tank around the pump.

for 1/2 the fuel to be unavailable, would require a large collapse of the tank.

It might also be possible for a faulty evap system to create a vacuum that prevents fuel uptake and prevents a large amount of the fuel from being available. I've never heard of this but seems possible since gas fumes are supposed to be vented to the evap cannister by engine vacuum. If this were blocked, falling fuel level might create a vaccum blocking fuel uptake. Vapor pressure might offset this so this is a long shot.

good luck