General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Differential Growl?

Old 08-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Default Differential Growl?

New to the forums!

02 Accord EX 4dr AT

260K on transmission, 135K on engine (swapped myself 17 months ago) which was done 15K miles ago.

I am hearing a low growl at 30 mph. Does not matter if in drive or neutral. No growl at standstill, in neutral, regardless of what revs. Growl does diminish with deceleration.

Under vehicle on jackstands, rotating the fronts in the same direction produces what I think is the noise (faintly at hand speeds) and in opposite direction produces the noise too. Sound seems to be coming from the differential area. Holding one wheel still at a time, trying both wheels, does not eliminate noise either way (thus not CV joints I think).

The fluid level is OK, have not had to top off once since the swap, thus I think no AT fluid leaks (no obvious AT fluid on tranny or floor).

Any thoughts other than looking for a "new" used tranny?

Thanks, Tom.
--------------------
04 Odyssey EX
02 Accord EX AT
99 Accord EX MT

Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

A noise over the internet is always fun to figure out.

So with that said - I would also think about/check for a wheel bearing going bad? Not a true test but...find a nice big, empty parking lot. At the speed the noise is happening - try turning the car left and right. Does the nosie seem to change in anyway?

Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 AM

Also, with the car on stands grab the inner CV joint and push it up and down and check for excessive play. Do that for both sides and see if one side is different from the other. Although not common to fail on Honda's it could be the a carrier bearing is failing. Also check to see that each of the inner CV's are completely in as that will make a noise as you described.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I think that can be ruled out. While on jack stands, I held one wheel still while rotating the other and could still hear the noise. I then repeated for the other wheel and still had the noise.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 AM

Thanks Turtlehead, I will check these out.

In the meantime, if one or both carrier bearings need to be replaced, can shops do that with the tranny still in the car?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by tboncher
Under vehicle on jackstands, rotating the fronts in the same direction produces what I think is the noise (faintly at hand speeds) and in opposite direction produces the noise too.
Have you tried the same thing - on jackstands - with the engine running and in drive? It's best to have an assistant inside and you have to stay away from rotating stuff underneath, but I've found mysterious noises that way, with the plastic end a big screwdriver held to my ear and the metal end held to various points near rotating assemblies.

Gotta crack the case to replace carrier bearings.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:19 PM

It was a wheel bearing. Still learning noises, I guess. Did not swap the tranny yet

Thanks, Tom.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you figured it out and it was some what a simple fix.