General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital Clock '97 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Melatonin
Unregistered
Default Digital Clock '97 Accord

The clock has stopped working properly. Without holding the last button(4th from the left [Hour,Minute,Reset,4th button]) The clock does no longer display the time, and does no longer keep a memory of the time. If the last button is held down, it lights up (starts at 1:00) and will work with no problems (not sure about memory with key off) until released, and then it will go blank, and memory will reset to 1:00 again... If anyone knows what the issue is, any information will be greatly appreciated, and what is that 4th button for anyway...

Other information:
If I remember correctly, testing wires with multimeter, the voltages across each wire with ground (black) resulted.
(first wire) Black-
(second wire)- ~12V
(third wire)- 0V
(fourth wire)- ~4V
The above tests were performed with key turned on (motor off), and testing with the key turned off resulted with all at 0V, except the fourth wire dropping from ~1V constantly at about .05V/sec.

Thanks in advance,
Melatonin

Last edited by Melatonin; 05-11-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had an intermittent clock operation on my 99 Subaru Forester. Others had found that surface mount resistors were coming loose (solder joint thermal fatigue). I pulled clock unit, and removed circuit board. One resistor was completely loose and broke free when I attempted to resolder. I managed to resolder the loose resistor in position and reinforce the remaining resistors (~5 total). It's still working today. A good magnifying glass is essential.

good luck

Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Melatonin
Unregistered

Ok, I took the circuit board out and I checked all of the components, and they all still seemed firm in their place. I have noticed at night when I start the car the clock is on although very very dim, and goes black when I turn on my headlights. Does this mean it has something to do with the backlight? That maybe would solve that issue, although I'd be left with the lack of memory. Everytime the car is turned off the clock resets to 1:00, so Im guessing it has something to do with the wiring, maybe I lost a voltage source constant? Does anyone know the wiring and correct voltages (both turned on and off)? Again, any help will be greatly appreciated...

Old 05-16-2009, 08:12 AM

You don't have a circuit diagram or manual for diagnostics. In this position, about all you can do is look for obvious physical damage and correct. If you haven't examined w/ a powerful magnifying glass, try that as some flaws will not be apparent w/o this tool.

Absent any direct indications, I would buy a used part to replace; try car-part.com for a part near you.

good luck

Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to just find a wrecker and get another clock?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Moppie
Wouldn't it be easier to just find a wrecker and get another clock?
Yes, my thoughts exactly. Why spend hours and hours messing around with something that costs $10 at the salvage yard......talk about some cheap labor LOL

Old 05-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Melatonin
Unregistered

Ok, to update everyone on the issue... I pulled out a clock from a junk yard ($10 as mentioned), installed it, and got the same results...
I then began testing the clock with a jumper from my hazard light constant voltage source, and got it working with memory and everything. I ended up just ended up connecting it to the 4th wire (same order as mentioned in first post). So it looks as though I have lost my constant voltage source, and hopefully it is supposed to be 12V, otherwise I may lose this clock all together, but now that I have a spare clock I figure I wait and see...
Maybe it was a fuse somewhere? I checked all fuses that I could think of that may be related to, but no luck... So if anyone knows if there is a fuse to the digital clock and knows where it is, that'd be great, in the mean while I will be running it off of the hazard light fuse.

Thanks again for all of your help
Melatonin

Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 PM

Look up wiring diagram at autozone.com for your car.

good luck