General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Do you shield your eyes when turn on MapLight?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Lightbulb Do you shield your eyes when turn on MapLight?

See if you can relate. At some point during nighttime driving, while clicking 'on' your dome/maplight located on the ceiling near the rear view mirror, you want to locate something you dropped in your lap or on the floor, you are temporarily blinded and you shield your eyes. And when you then go to click it 'off' you again shield the eyes, somehow, so you can keep seeing relatively well in the night.

Recently I decided to look into that little blue map reading light that sits between the moon roof and door courtesy light on/off switch thinking I would like it to be brighter. No way there to do that guys, there is an LED soldered to a shrimpy circuit board doesn't look possible to replace. While doing this I removed the lens of the dome light and turned it on, OMG, no diffused glare! This would be perfect, IF, the lens was completely clear but instead the lens acts like a diffuser, and well you get the idea it scatters the light right into your eyes.

Does anyone know of a source that sells clear lens's? On the other hand anyone know of a way to modify the oem lens making it completely clear?

A caution. If you are going to remove the lens be really careful, unbelievable how delicate the connection points are. Picture attached.

Attached Thumbnails Do you shield your eyes when turn on MapLight?-2011-12-11_14-17-54_901.jpg  
Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 PM

Sorry I haven't seen a "clear" replacement for those lens/buttons. But I would not be looking at anything on the floor if I was driving -- to dangerous. First, I'd pull to the side. Then, look for the stuff that was dropped. If you do this, you will not have to worry about being blinded since your eyes will have enough time to adjust before you get back on the road.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by accordhybridowner
Sorry I haven't seen a "clear" replacement for those lens/buttons. But I would not be looking at anything on the floor if I was driving -- to dangerous. First, I'd pull to the side. Then, look for the stuff that was dropped. If you do this, you will not have to worry about being blinded since your eyes will have enough time to adjust before you get back on the road.

Now this is the correct way to do this..Thanks for clarifying the correct way member .