General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Accord Not Starting

Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Default 99 Accord Not Starting

I'm helping my friend try and fix his 99 Accord that turns over but won't start. The oil was almost bone dry so we filled it and found a large leak coming from the far drivers-side of the engine.

I've only tried the following to troubleshoot the issue since it was too dark to see where the oil leak is coming from (going back next time with a flashlight )...

New plugs/wires.
Pulled each plug wire out, connected them to spark plugs and grounded them to ensure they're sparking when attempting to start the car.
Sprayed starter fluid into the intake (car still didn't start at all).
Checked the Fuel Relay for any cracked connections on the back of the board (looks perfect).

Any ideas for things I can check next time I go out there would be appreciated.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No attempt to start w/ starter fluid (3-5 secs of spray?) suggests no spark despite an in-air tests of spark plugs. A weak spark may jump a 1 atmosphere test, but fail when higher resistance of 10+ atm. of pressure in cylinder. Try checking spark w/ a timing light on spark plug leads. No flash means no spark.

Turn keyswitch to On and listen carefully for a couple of soft clicks from under dash (main fuel relay) and 2-3 secs of buzz from fuel pump in fuel tank. If you're getting these sounds fuel pressure is likley OK. Cracking banjo bolt on fuel rail (not sure if 99 has bolt) should produce a heavy spray of fuel after turning keyswitch to ON. Further confirmation of spark problem, not fuel.

Spark problem could be coil, ignitor, or possibly cracked rotor.

good luck

Old 12-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Find the location of the oil leak. Is the a 4 or 6 cylinder accord?

If the driver's side of the 4-cylinder is the timing belt cover. The seals for the front balance shaft can pop out and cause a major oil leak.