General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does my A/C Compressor need to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Default Does my A/C Compressor need to be replaced?

I drive a 2001 Honda Accord EX 2 door coupe.

My AC did not blow cold air since 2006 and eventually when I'd start my car, it made strange loud noises for a few seconds (2009/2010.). A trusted mechanic said its fine unless the noise gets worst. His shop closed recently.

Took my car to different shop last week and the mechanic pointed out that my AC compressor was bad and it was visibly hanging out. He recommended I either replace it or stop driving as the AC Compressor risks being "locked up" which puts the belt, alternator and power steering at risk. (All connected to same belt). $1000 to fix + 15% discount after I asked.

I went home, popped up my hood and could not find that air compressor piece dangling out any longer, which was strange.

Does my AC Compressor need to be replaced? How can I verify it myself?
And if I just left my AC off, would I be able to drive my car?

Is it possible the compressor was deliberately damaged by the new mechanic? (My previous mechanic said the noise was fine and did not point out any such damage a year+ earlier.)

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Bearing may have failed completely in the pulley allowing belt to misalign.

I agree that something should be done. On some Accords (not sure about 2001), you can bypass the comrpessor w/ a shorter belt intended for models w/o AC. Check w/ parts store. If you have a single serpentine belt arrangement, this likely won't work.

It could well be that the only problem w/ your compressor is a failed pulley bearing. However, no shop is likely to suggest replacing only the pulley, as they make most of their money on parts sales. So a shop is likely to recommend compressor replacement, which will indeed fix the problem, but leave you $500-$700 poorer in the process. Only DIY will lighten the burden.

good luck

Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

EDIT: too slow at typing once again....TX replied while I was typing.

Hard to say....It could be the belt is slipping causing the noise, could be the bearing in the ac clutch is going.

As far as "something hanging out"?

You might want to pull the belt and check the ac clutch...or take it somewhere else and see what they say.