General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this sound like a fuel pump death? 354,000 miles 95 accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Default Does this sound like a fuel pump death? 354,000 miles 95 accord

All of a sudden my beloved accord started sputtering. I pulled over and revved it up and it couldn't get above about 4k. I pulled into a parking lot and it died as I pulled into a spot. The pump doesn't kick on when the keys on. I fuse was fine. My brother beat on the gas tank while I turned the key on and off. We did this for a few minutes but couldn't get it to come on (this has always worked on all the other cars I've seen fuel pumps fail in.) So I started thinking there may be some sort of relay that failed. I read theres no fuel pump access on the 94-97 accord so I would hate to do all the work dropping the tank only to find out it wasn't the pump.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A more frequent failure in Accords is Main Fuel Relay (MFR) which supplies power to injectors and fuel pump.

When you turn keyswitch to On, you should hear a couple of muffled clicks from under the dash and fuel pump run for 2-3 secs, and cut off. Check Engine Light (CEL) should come On w/ key to On, and go off w/ the fuel pump. If this is not happening, the MFR is likely.

If CEL comes on w/ keyswitch to On and goes off in 2-3 secs, the MFR is probably OK and fuel pump failure is likely.

To confirm fuel pump is dead, you will need to confirm that power is supplied to the connector in the trunk under the carpet and fuel level indcator access port. Disconnect connector and check fuel pump power supply wire (yellow usually). If power is available for 2-3 secs and goes off w/ CEL, then fuel pump is dead.

Replacing fuel pump is not terrible. Car must be elevated (4 wheels) to gain good access. I did this job solo, but help would make it easier. Download the 94-97 Accord manual from Online Manuals links in DiY forum.

good luck

Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 PM

TexasHonda, you are THE MAN! Thank you so much.

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
A more frequent failure in Accords is Main Fuel Relay (MFR) which supplies power to injectors and fuel pump.

When you turn keyswitch to On, you should hear a couple of muffled clicks from under the dash and fuel pump run for 2-3 secs, and cut off. Check Engine Light (CEL) should come On w/ key to On, and go off w/ the fuel pump. If this is not happening, the MFR is likely.

If CEL comes on w/ keyswitch to On and goes off in 2-3 secs, the MFR is probably OK and fuel pump failure is likely.

To confirm fuel pump is dead, you will need to confirm that power is supplied to the connector in the trunk under the carpet and fuel level indcator access port. Disconnect connector and check fuel pump power supply wire (yellow usually). If power is available for 2-3 secs and goes off w/ CEL, then fuel pump is dead.

Replacing fuel pump is not terrible. Car must be elevated (4 wheels) to gain good access. I did this job solo, but help would make it easier. Download the 94-97 Accord manual from Online Manuals links in DiY forum.

good luck