General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Don't wanna lose my back end!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 PM
RDD
Unregistered
Post Don't wanna lose my back end!!!

This is my first post so sorry if this is a newbie question.

3 days ago I bought a 09 EX-L V-6 (Belize Blue Pearl). Today I got behind a type of mitsubishi evo I would say it was a couple years old. At the same token it looked and sounded like it had some work done to it. I really don't know. We both got off the same off ramp. I guess the presence of my new car made him wanna see if I would chase him up the ramp and so on. He slammed on the gas and started to pull away from me and of course I took the bate. With out any problem at all is was on his bumper and if the road was not a off ramp I would have gone right by him and so on. The problem was when we where entering the left turn in the off ramp I felt like if I kept my speed 65 give or take I would have lost my back end to the wall of the ramp. He just flew right through it. It doesn't matter to me that he got away.
Does any one else have this issue? any ideas or thoughts would be great!!!!!

Last edited by RDD; 06-02-2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: i think i posted wrong
Old 06-02-2009, 12:43 AM
RDD
Unregistered

why the smfh?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

You probably caught him, because you have a V6 and you are close to the EVO in horsepower.

The suspension on the EVO is setup to handle those kinds of turns, or the other driver had upgraded his suspension. The Accord isn't setup to do that using the stock configuration.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 AM
RDD
Unregistered

Makes sense to me. Any suggestions on a brand name of a suspension system that would be a good and reliable up grade? There are a lot of suspension kits I have seen and honestly don't really no the difference?

Old 06-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Suspension upgrades aren't my forte.

There is a suspension forum on here. Read some of the stickies and post some questions on that board to get good info.

Do your research before you invest in a suspension upgrade.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 AM

You were probably catching up to him because he was baiting you (allowing you to catch up.) That way he could impress himself by blowing your doors off, or he could flag you down and attemt to get you to race him for $ (and you would lose.)
Those EVO's have 300hp stock and are lighter than your car.

I am seriously opposed to street racing though.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM
RDD
Unregistered

lol yeah after doing some reading last night I cant argue with you about the evo being faster and lighter

Old 06-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by RDD
lol yeah after doing some reading last night I cant argue with you about the evo being faster and lighter
Try and find the Top Gear episode of the Evo IX or X vs. Lamboghini, both all wheel drive. You'd be surprised.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

One of my best friends has an EVO X ..... the machinist for those that know me. That thing is friggen sick!!! Stock it's fast as heck, but add a Cobb tuning flash computer, an electronic boost controller and cold pipes and you're looking at a quick 400 HP (~330whp).

Jon mentioned that it's lighter ..... actually, on the 10 the paint is heavier than the skin. The car is made from aluminum. Also, on turns, he gains traction by hitting the gas much more than you do. The evo yaw control varies what wheels get power to improve traction.

I have a full suspension and my friend took a U-turn bridge at 80 that I'd take at 50 .... I could probably do 70 safely, but the thing is that he wasn't even pushing it hard!!!! An OE suspension wouldn't be able to do over 40-45 safely.