General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door checker

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Default door checker

the drivers side door checker is loose (fender side) how on earth does one access this ????
I have replaced that fender and didn't see any access points there, help on this will be greatly appreciated, it is driving me nuts. Help please. BTW very nice site, have utilized it many times already in just two weeks, thanks
"door checker"

Old 04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: door checker

What in the world is a "door checker"?

Old 04-07-2008, 04:24 PM

on some cars , there arew 2 10mm bolts that hold the door checker in place,, to get to them you got to remove the door panel and tighten them from inside the inner door cavity,,,Once panel is off you will know what i mean,, if bolts are tight, you might have to replace the door checker itself, I have seen them go bad a few times

Old 04-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: finch13

What in the world is a "door checker"?
#12, it keeps the door from opening too far.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:10 PM

thank you for the replies, desert it is loose on the other side? Does that make sense? It has some "play" in it. The peice that accepts the checker and pin # 16, sorry if this doesn't make sense? Looking at the diagram (it's on the left, thanks Jim) pulling out from the frontend side.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Looks like it is in the inner piller? I might be able to get a look from the inside up in behind the fuse box, just hate to get started if it's not possible. May be welded. Makes a hidieous metal scunchie sound opening the door. It is not visible with the fender off, i looked when i replaced them.Help

Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like the forward end is attached at a pivot pin (#16). The sliding action of the check is into the door, not into the fixed frame.

disclaimer... I haven't had to take mine apart yet so I don't know firsthand.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM

I have disconnected the moving part. Just undid the bolts and let it drop in the door for now, had that panel off last night aaargh! At least for now no crunching sound operating the door (thank god) just got to be careful not to let the wind grab the door on opening. The body side that the pin goes in would fall in but i held it and put the pin back in after undoing the moving part, I have no idea how to access that pillar that it is in? So until i find a thread with some info or a body man to talk to i will be ok. Just hope it not a weld? Thanks for your involvement.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Jim, I thought someone was talking about "door cards" again.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 PM

Well, still surfing? The part is a pillar hinge bracket. Unable to get any more info or illustrations of what it looks like in the pillar, had to be affixed by weld. Drilled a small hole above where the phb comes out to see if i could run a couple self tapping screws into it, no luck. Must flange left to the outside of the pillar? If anyone can find or direct me to anything with some info i would appreciate greatly. Hard to believe this has not occured more often. Wonder if maybe access from the bottom of the pillar? Thanks all.

Quick Reply: door checker