General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door open and brake light flickering '99 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 05:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Door open and brake light flickering '99 Accord LX

I am new here and trying to seek a little advice to an issue I am having and needing a little tech advice.

I have a 1999 Honda Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual tranny. I am currently turning 314,000 on the odometer.

A few months ago or so, I replaced my original alternator with an aftermarket alternator. This determination came upon me because I had all the door open and brake light illuminated on my dash. A test was done a revealed it was the alternator. Since I have replaced the alternator, the aftermarket alternator crapped out and I replaced with another aftermarket alternator that was covered under parts warranty.

Since this replacement which been a few months back, I am now having my door open and brake lights flicker occasionally. When I first noticed this happening, I would be slowing down coming to a complete stop. At first, I was thinking I was just thinking it was my imagination because it would happen so quickly. I now know it is not my imagination. The first few times when I notice them flickering it has always been within a few minutes after I start driving and always when I am starting to slow down to a complete stop at a traffic light. After this has been happening a few times, I am not getting the flickering open door and brake lights when I am slowing down... shifting down... as I am engaging into a curve or turn. When they flicker, it is normally in a blink of an eye... one time I noticed they fickered off and on 3 consecutive times in a blink of an eye. The lights I notice that only flicker is the door open and brake light on the dash... no other lights seem to flicker... or I shall say that I have noticed.

What I described above is making me think that the alternator is crapping out possibly in the 5-10 minutes after I start the car in stop and go traffic.

I hear and know Honda cars only like OEM alternators and wondering if this aftermarket alternator is what is causing the issue... I have had it tested and the test does come out to be a good alternator... a good battery.

I did occur another symptom that happened a couple days ago where the car this time seemed like the engine started to die where all the dash lights illuminated but then the car didn't completely die but engaged again. I do know sometime back that when I was having dieing (stalling) issues.. where car when die and the engine would engage... that when I replaced the ignition switch that this resolved the issue... it has been a while since I have replaced the ignition switch.

I am seeking advice to what one might think what could be causing an intermittent all door open and brake lights to flicker possibly within 5-10 minutes after driving. I do not see this occurring while driving on a long road trip or after driving for a while... it seems to only happen after a few minutes I start driving and when I seem to be slowing down coming to a stop and/or when I am slowing down... shifting down... and engaging in a curve... corner. And just only 1 incident where a couple days ago the car engine seemed to die and than engage with all dash lights illuminating which happened for a second.

Could it be alternator where I should go back with the expensive OEM? Or could it be ignition switch? Or Both? Or possibly something else that I may not know about.

I do know that certain symptoms are diagnoses for certain things but I don't know what exact diagnoses are to resolve my symptoms.

Any advice on what could be starting to cause my issue would greatly be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

A flaky alternator should cause all the lights to have similar issues. You would need a volt meter to see if the voltage at the battery when the engine is running changes when the light flickers.

You may want to disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables. You would use a piece of sandpaper or a wire brush to clean any corrosion off the eyelet and the bolt.

Can you get the lights to flicker by shaking the key when the engine is running?

EDIT: I wouldn't condemn all aftermarket alternators. It really depends on the quality and thoroughness of the rebuild. I've used Denso aftermarket parts on my Honda without issue. The other route is to find a reputable shop that rebuilds alternators, starters, etc. Found a shop near me that did my TSX alternator about 5 years ago and haven't had an issue.

I would only replace the alternator if it tests bad.

Last edited by PAhonda; 12-29-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A flaky alternator should cause all the lights to have similar issues. You would need a volt meter to see if the voltage at the battery when the engine is running changes when the light flickers.

You may want to disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables. You would use a piece of sandpaper or a wire brush to clean any corrosion off the eyelet and the bolt.

Can you get the lights to flicker by shaking the key when the engine is running?

EDIT: I wouldn't condemn all aftermarket alternators. It really depends on the quality and thoroughness of the rebuild. I've used Denso aftermarket parts on my Honda without issue. The other route is to find a reputable shop that rebuilds alternators, starters, etc. Found a shop near me that did my TSX alternator about 5 years ago and haven't had an issue.

Agreed. Maybe even have the battery tested as well. I only mention it, as the alternator might be working just fine, but you might have a bad cell in the battery. Cold weather seems to aggravate this condition too.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda

No, the light do not flicker when shaking the key when engine is running.
Since the problem is intermittent, it would be impossible to check voltage when lights flicker... it be hard to catch it at the correct time.
I will try doing another check on the battery and alternator but it all tested fine.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

The other thing to try is to disconnect the battery. Then inspect all ends of both battery cables. Clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush or sandpaper. Also check and clean the eyelet on the thick alternator wire.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Battery cables have been cleaned as well as to alternator.

Today when I started the car, the car was idling rough... about 5-10 minutes while stopped at a traffic light I believe this time all the dash lights came on as if the car engine died. I pushed on the gas peddle to rev up the idle and the dash lights went off... and than the car stopped idling rough. This was something different than what has been happening.

I am still trying to figure out what is causing the symptoms.

I will try to get a tester back on to test the battery and alternator this weekend.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by bmwgsrider
Battery cables have been cleaned as well as to alternator.

Today when I started the car, the car was idling rough... about 5-10 minutes while stopped at a traffic light I believe this time all the dash lights came on as if the car engine died. I pushed on the gas peddle to rev up the idle and the dash lights went off... and than the car stopped idling rough. This was something different than what has been happening.

I am still trying to figure out what is causing the symptoms.

I will try to get a tester back on to test the battery and alternator this weekend.
Yes, definitely have both tested. It seems you might be having an intermittent issue with your alternator.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I tested alternator and battery... The battery seems to perform properly and than it starts to lose voltage. Will put a new battery in and if issue still continues, I will change out the alternator and than take alternator apart and see about rebuilding it. If this doesn't resolve the issue, I am not sure what to do for the next step.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I got the battery in the car yesterday.... After driving a couple hours this morning my Battery light, brake light, and door open lights started flickering out of control... staying on... going off... and staying on.
Does this come back to be the aftermarket alternator? I have heard Hondas don't like aftermarket alternators. I don't know what else could be causing the issue. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I went to Oreilly's to get a fault code and there was no fault code. They put a tester on the battery and it came back to Alternator volt reg failed

This time I will get an alternator from Honda... I am wondering if people have problems with the Electrical Load Detector or Power Control Module? And if this would or could cause the symptoms I am having. What symptoms would ELD or PCM do to the vehicle?

Thanks so much in advance.

Quick Reply: Door open and brake light flickering '99 Accord LX