General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver front window binding with pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Default Driver front window binding with pic

I recently cleaned and lubricated window internals with silicone lubricant. Windows were working very well but tonight I noticed when driver window was going down it seemed to bind about halfway. I couldn't get it back up all the way and it seems to rock back and forth about an inch each way as I assisted it up. My assistance, pushing up on glass, didn't seem to make any difference. Right now it's stuck about an inch from the top. Removed door panel and found what appears to be broken yellow plastic at the top of the door where the cable loops around. I don't know if this is the regulator but that's what I'm hoping to figure out. Power windows by the way.

Attached Thumbnails Driver front window binding with pic-image.jpeg  
Old 05-17-2016, 08:44 AM

You may have to replace the whole set. Not only is the yellow plastic broken ( it looks like a guide), but the white wheel is bent. That is cause by something getting locked up, and the cable is still pulling, therefore bending anything it is attached to.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:25 PM

Thanks. When you say the whole set, is that the regulator and motor assembly? I'm seeing it advance auto for about 80 bucks.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:12 AM

Yes, regulator and motor. I can't seem to find any place with regulator only.

If money is tight, you could try going to a junkyard to get a regulator, then
take the motor off your window and put it on the replacement. But that would be risky. The old regulator could be old and brittle.

I have done this twice (New from O'Reily's - LT Warranty)to my daughters car (1998 Accord driver and pass side $75 - 95).

Just lower the window 1/2 way to disconnect it from the regulator ( hold it in place with duct tape on the outside of the door at the top).

Old 05-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
Yes, regulator and motor. I can't seem to find any place with regulator only.

If money is tight, you could try going to a junkyard to get a regulator, then
take the motor off your window and put it on the replacement. But that would be risky. The old regulator could be old and brittle.

I have done this twice (New from O'Reily's - LT Warranty)to my daughters car (1998 Accord driver and pass side $75 - 95).

Just lower the window 1/2 way to disconnect it from the regulator ( hold it in place with duct tape on the outside of the door at the top).
Thank you for your help. Money is not tight, I've saved so much from buying this great car for $600 dollars that she gets whatever she needs! I just picked up regulator and motor and have watched extensive videos on the net. Ready to go! Thanks again!

Old 05-18-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by wattsk69
Thank you for your help. Money is not tight, I've saved so much from buying this great car for $600 dollars that she gets whatever she needs! I just picked up regulator and motor and have watched extensive videos on the net. Ready to go! Thanks again!
Total and absolute success!! I had the old one off and the new one on in half an hour. Thank you for your advice!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 AM

Great! Glad it all worked out!