General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driver side axle making me crazy!!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Default Driver side axle making me crazy!!!!

I replaced my motor on a 94 accord ex. I took the tranny out also but put the same one back in. I cant seem to get the driver side axle in. I got the passenger one in okay. When I try to put it in the axle goes in some but it needs to go around another inch or so to go in completely. I tried cleaning the end of the axle and even removing the c clip and trying to install it and even still needs the inch or so. I also tried w/o the seal but steal wont go in any suggestions, because im where im ready to junk this thing

Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Driver side axle making me crazy!!!!

I have had problems getting the CV joint in the tranny. That snap ring has to stay on there. It could have been bent when you first pulled it out. I would try to shape it the best you can so it doesn't protrude from the groove it sits in.

Use some grease on the ring and teeth of the CV joint. Position the axle so it is perpindicular to the tranny. Slide in the axle until you get resistance, pull back, twist it a bit and try to push it in again. I would make sure the tranny is in neurtral (probably won't make a difference) so the teeth can line up.

I had to use quite a bit of leverage when I was pusing my axle into the tranny. I had my tire flat on the ground against the wall, and basically pushed off the wall via the tire using my body as a lever to get my CV joint to go back into the tranny.

Good Luck

Old 07-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is this the original axle that was removed from the trans? If not, you could have wrong axle. I had a replacement axle recently that looked identical but was too large to install. If you replaced the snap ring, try removing and using old ring. That worked for me on one occasion.

If it doesn't go in easy (moderate ram of shaft into axle end), don't jam it in or you may jam the snap ring into the receiver. I bought a used axle that someone had managed to jam into the intermediate support housing on a Acura 2.5TL. They sold me the housing w/ the axle, which I thought odd at time, until I tried to remove the housing. I had to destroy the housing before finally able to extract the axle end. The snap ring was bent and jammed into the housing.

good luck

Old 07-05-2008, 05:45 PM

i removed the snap ring and still wouldnt go in. i can get it in somewhat then it stops i hit it with a hammer but didnt think it should be that hard to go in

Old 07-05-2008, 06:18 PM

I had alot of trouble with mine after I replaced my tranny. I used a big hammer and a block of wood and it still wouldn't. The best way is remove the large clip off the boot at the tranny side. Thenput a blood of wood and hammer on it. The whole axle has alot of give when hammering, but this way doesn't and worked good for me, 5000 km on it so far. Then go to napa or somehting, get the click and use needle nose to put it on. Your all set, while your at it, put some globs of grease on the bearing and in the boot.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:29 PM

so i should just get it in as far as i can and then hammer away

Old 07-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest cleaning the splines of female end in the trans w/ a plastic brush pulling outwards to bring any debris out and not push into trans. Something is jamming, if this is same axle you pulled from the trans earlier. If not, suspect wrong axle.

good luck

Old 07-05-2008, 08:56 PM

yeah its the same axle.... I looked in the transmission and there is like a gold pin coming down but i think that is suppose top be there as this tranny was fine before i pulled the motor. its far back enough it shouldnt be in the way anyways

Old 07-06-2008, 12:54 AM

I messed with it for a day on mine. Take the boot off pull the thing into two seperate pieces, hammer then end on thn stick the rest of it back on and clamp the boot back on. Will only take 10 minutes.