General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRL module

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Default DRL module

I've checked all fuses in the car #3 and engine compartment #3 & #5, swapped #19 40 Amp relay and changed the hi beam bulbs but the DRL dash light still comes on and the exterior DRLs are off. I've looked under the dash and can't find anything that looks like the DRL module with a blue plug as in other generation Accords.

Any photos or Ideas where this has been moved to?

Does the installation of a Firstech cm6000 remote car starter affect the DRLs?

Help!

Old 03-10-2013, 03:23 PM

I also checked the thread at :

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...rl-help-47300/

This thread has all the photos just like my vehicle and according to the thread there is no DRL module in the 2004. The 2004 includes the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU) instead. My car does not have a separate relay box located right next to the under hood fuse/relay box as stated.

I physically swapped a spare hi beam 9005 bulb with each bulb separately and when hi beam is selected in the car, both hi beams are lit (DRL dash light off) with no lights selected the DRL dash light is lit and neither (reduced) DRL lights (hi beams) are on.

Playing with the parking brake does not change the DRL dash light.

So now what? I've got a safety inspection coming up and need to fix this.

Where is the MICU and how can I check this?

Any help would be great...thanks.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

This has nothing to do with the thread you posted in, so I moved it out to its own thread.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Is the car from/in Canada? In the 3rd post in the link Redbull has a pic of the location of the DRL relay.

DRL for the US didn't start until ~06.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Hi poorman212,

Thanks for responding.

It is a Canadian Accord and I checked the under hood fuse panel for the two little relays in a small box to the left of the panel. My car has a slider mount where the separate little relay box would normally fit but that feature is not present on my car.

Could it be a poor ground somewhere?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Could the DRL module have been removed by a previous owner?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Are you saying your car doesn't have the DRL relay located in the engine compartment?

Just to confirm, what is the year of your car, 2004?

This is a brief description of the headlight and DRL system description for the 03-05 Canadian Accord:

The headlight circuit is controlled by the MICU. The high beam and low beam headlight relays are located within the relay control module. Canadian vehicles use a DRL (Daytime Running Light) relay.

Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
The DRL system works by supplying battery voltage in series to the two high beam headlights. Applying voltage in series through the two headlights will act as a resistor, and illuminate each headlight 50%. The DRL relay is supplied power at all times. The relay control module located in the under-hood fuse/relay box will ground the coil of the DRL relay to close the contacts and send battery voltage to the high beam headlamps. When the parking brake is applied the DRL system will not operate. The parking brake ground signal is supplied to the gauge control module and that information is multiplex communicated to the relay control module. When the brake pedal is released and the parking brake switch opens the DRL will operate normally.

Attached Thumbnails DRL module-canadian-accord-drl-relay.jpg  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 PM

Sorry for the delay in a reply, I was out of town.

Here's responses to the previous questions

Could the DRL module have been removed by a previous owner? No, I have owned the car for a few years and the DRL were working fine

Are you saying your car doesn't have the DRL relay located in the engine compartment? That is correct, my car has a slider mount on the main exterior fuse panel but the relays are not present on my car.

Just to confirm, what is the year of your car, 2004? Yes 2004

Does anyone know where the grounding points are? Could be a missing ground for the circuit.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

I'm reaching here.....can you give us the last six digits of the VIN code - view from the drivers side windshield. I'm wondering if the car was a factory US Accord and someone added DRL when the car "went" to Canada.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM

Hi poorman212

It really started to bug me that my car had a slider mount on the main exterior fuse panel but the relays weren't there...so out came the high intensity flashlight!

After digging around a few wire harnesses below the main exterior fuse panel I found that the two relays had dropped upside down and jammed into one of the harnesses lower in the compartment.

After prying it up out of the harness, I opened the small panel to find two grey Mitsuba RC-5102 relays. The one closest to the main exterior fuse panel mount was corroded and it is the DRL relay. I tried to clean it up to fix it but it looks like I'll have to replace it. I swapped the other relay in it's place and the DRL worked intermittently so the plug will need some work too.

Thank you for insisting that the relays should be there, I wouldn't have checked as hard as I did if you hadn't.

I'll let you know when I have finally solved the problem.

Quick Reply: DRL module