General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped item thru spark plug hole

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 12:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Red face Dropped item thru spark plug hole

Well here's a first for me. Just when I think I've figured out most everything in how to fix things on this car (1996 Accord, have had it since 2002)...well, not the case. Such an idiot mistake.

So, anyone have a suggestion on how to retrieve a tightly rolled up piece of wadded electrical tape out thru the spark plug hole (the piece is shaped like an "L", about 1/8" in the wound diameter and maybe 5/8" from tip to tip, NOT along length if it were straightened out)? Trying to snag it off the top of the piston I managed to push it off to the side of the hole so I can't see where it is any more.

I've seen a couple videos where guys force it out of the cylinder by turning over the engine and the compression blows it out. Part of my consideration in that approach is how far down does the exhaust valve drop on the exhaust stroke. That is, could the wad of tape possibly be pushed into the exhaust port on the exhaust stroke and hang there instead of blowing out the plug hole as the engine turns over.

Another video shows things being vacuumed out. Unfortunately where I live I can't get a plug-in vac to the car, just a 16 volt rechargeable minivac.

I'm obviously looking for a solution other than pulling the head.

I'm supposed to have the car smogged by Feb 12 so I'd appreciate any quick responses.

Thanks in advance.

Yours truly,

Old 02-09-2022, 08:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Got that sucker.