General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECT sensor issue resolution tip

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Smile ECT sensor issue resolution tip

99 Accord EX with V6 For once I wanted to add something rather than ask a question. Out of nowhere I started having some starting issues. Not necessarily a cold start, but when the engine had been off for all day or night. It could be 90 degrees outside and still do it. Engine would hesitate and idle roughly for a couple of minutes until it warmed up. Once warm it was OK. Started by removing and cleaning the throttle body. Nope, still did it. Changed the plugs and saw they were burning a bit rich. Fuel pump and pressure were testing OK. Well, I couldn't find the adapter for Honda to actually test the fuel pressure in any loaner kit. Replaced the IAC sensor thinking that was it. Wrong again. Oh, not check engine light. I hooked up my fairly decent Innova meter and saw the ECT temp was 396 degrees. Yep, 396 degrees at rest overnight. Unplugged the sensor and it went to minus 40 degrees. This ruled out a wiring or ECU problem. Now, thanks to the help from a couple of mechanics on JustAnswer I fixed this (Honda-Man and Chris (aka Moose). 31 bucks for the part at NAPA and it runs fine now. As I learned the ECT sensor controls rich/lean mixture, the cooling fans, and cold start calculations. Amazing how one 31 dollar part can mess up your day.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Default Question

I wonder if the same is true for a 93

Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

The same is true for 1993 in a general sense. Any car (not just Honda) has a temperature sensor somewhere, so the fuel control system knows how warm the engine is.

The ECT is located below the distributor, screwed into the end of the head. It's got a plug with 2 wires.

What are the symptoms on YOUR car? Why do you suspect a problem with the ECT?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There should have been an obd2 (P0116) or obd1 code (6) set when ECT performance is completely out of range as OP. However, a ECT that was only marginally off might cause drivability problems and not set a code.

good luck

Old 10-20-2014, 12:00 PM
Default Car simptoms

Ok so I changed the head gasket and used arp studs. I have a code 6 that will not erase from ECU ( made new codes and they erased ). Car runs rich u can smell it and u get the great eye burn....lol...it smokes ( mild til u step on gas, then it's a James Bond smoke screen ) from cold start you would have to peddle the gas like a carberated vehicle then hold the gas for higher rpm until it warmed up then drive just fine....cleaned iac and ficv and adjusted ficv no longer had to peddle gas but now as soon as it warms up it dies

Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Code 6 is an electrical fault in the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) circuit. Fault can be bad sensor, electrical connector fault, wiring fault, or ECM fault.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm-Meter to check the ECT Resistance?

good luck