General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ECU crapped out, Gauges dont work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Nosebag
Unregistered
Default ECU crapped out, Gauges dont work.

Hey, I just joined up, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I have an 87 Lxi hatch with pgm-fi. The car started running bad and the gauges quit a couple months ago. It sputters horribly below 1500 rpm, but runs good when wfo. I have come to my own conclusion that it is running in "limp home" mode because I cant get the ECU to flash anything. It could be the result of repeated hard landings with the ECU not bolted solidly to the floor, or from excessive mud and water. I mounted the ECU to the floor and made sure it is grounded well. I checked the fuse box under the dash and I have no power at the #10 fuse which is labeled EFI ECU (Starter Signal). I thought about tracing the wire and splicing in power from somewhere like the radio, but I figured the internet should have a better answer.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ECU crapped out, Gauges dont work.

I wouldn't reroute power, because you might overload another circuit. If you find the ecu is bad, i would look around on ebay or car-part.com for a used one.

In the DIY section the online manuals the spoonhonda link has an 86 shop manual you can download. There is also a suppliment for an 87 accord that might help. There are some electrical tests in the fuel and emissons section. If you check engine light doesn't come on at all look at page 12-8. Just back probe the pins they are talking about to find out if the grounds are working properly.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Nosebag
Unregistered

I fiddled around some more today. The fuse box checks out so I guess the problem is in the ECU. As for gauges and lights, the only things that work are the battery light and the speedo. Im still waiting for the manual to download.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Good luck in your findings member...