General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU fuse blown

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default ECU fuse blown

96 accord ex. ECU #33 15a fuse has blown twice on me. I was driving when my car dies, i get it off the main road. ECU fuse is blown. I replace it with the only spare fuse I have, a 30amp. I manage to get home and it pops right when I get into my driveway. I take off work yesterday to try and figure it out.
I checked:
PGM-FI main relay, fuel injectors, fuel inj wires, fuel pump (comes on and goes of like it should/has voltage going to it.), O2 wires, several ground wires (mostly in engine bay),

I got to this point FROM factory service manual checking fuel supply system:
Measure the voltage between
A7

(
+ ) terminal and A23 ( - ) terminal
when the ignition switch is
first turned ON for two seconds.

Is there 1.0 V or less?
-Mine jumps up to 12v automatically and stays there. Says i need to do this...
Substitute
a known-good ECM
and recheck. If pescribed voltage

is now available, replace the original

But regardless, after checking a bunch of things, I replace the fuse again and start the car, ran fine for 30 min so i shut it off and this morning I drove to work with no problem. I am at a loss. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated here.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

From the Power Distribution Circuit (2 of 4) diagram, back-up/radio fuse 33 powers:
  • ECU
  • Stereo Radio/Cassette Player
  • Clock
  • TCM (V6)
  • Security Indicator (SE)
Aftermarket radio installed? You may want to unplug this first to see if it's causing the fuse to blow. Use 15A fuses.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

No. 33 (15 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box protects the PGM-FI Main Relay and alternator.

Attached Thumbnails ECU fuse blown-fuse.jpg   ECU fuse blown-no.-33-fuse-circuit.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I guess it's time for me to start wearing reading glasses: fuse 33 vs. fuse 39...

Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Just an update. My car spent a week at the dealer and they couldn't find or reproduce anything with the ECU fuse blowing. I am at a loss for now. Good or bad the fuse has not blown again in the past couple weeks after it happened two times in one day.

Just FYI, this car is bone stock all the way through. Well, there is a new ignition wire harness and lock assembly. The only other problem I was having at the time was a random missfire due to bad spark plug wires.
Thanks for the help. Lets hope it just goes away and I will keep a box of 15a fuses in my glove box just incase.