General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ECU water damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Default ECU water damage

Hey again, just received my 05 accord back from the dealer after they replaced the ECU and Imm. I was told by the service tech, there was some water damage on the old ECU. I'm not sure how water got in there but I would like to prevent it from happening again.

Should I spray silicone spray on the new ECU?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Did you see the ECM water damage?

Looking at location (under center console at dash panel), only way for water to get there would be a spilled drink, windshield leak, or evaporator housing overflow (likely culprit).

The drain outlet from evaporator housing should be checked closely to make sure it is hooked up to evaporator housing and draining (not blocked).

How costly was this repair?

good luck

Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Also, how should I check for leaks? I remember the car went through some severe thunder storms before the car got possessed.

Originally the dealer wanted to charge some insane price like $1200 or so, $622 for parts and the rest was labor. I ended up purchasing the parts from Majestic for $424 which saved me almost $200 and then I negotiated the labor to $220 which is 2 hrs labor.

Last edited by 07AccordCp; 07-15-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:49 PM

Sorry to bother you, but where is the evaporator housing overflow?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Refer to this link to check the AC drain hose.

driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32646

Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Evaporator housing in the center of the dash up against the firewall. Looks to be tough to reach. You may be able to see the drain hose coming down from box and penetrating firewall. Look under car for drainage w/ AC running.

If you can find the drain hose en=d you may be able to clean out w/ short piece of wire or wood dowel.

good luck

Old 07-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Now that I think of it I do recall wetness on the pass side carpet when my gf was driving a few weeks back. It was really hot for several days straight and the ac was definitely used. While sitting in the pass side, I felt the wetness of the carpet on my left foot (was wearing slippers). I'm going to clean it out in the morning.

Would it be easier to do this from under the car or inside the car? Looks like its easier from inside but I would hate to soak the carpet.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

If you do it from the inside, you won't have to jack up and support the car and get under it. Those guys in that thread used a shop vac and duct tape to prevent water from spilling in the interior. A bunch of them were successful doing it from the inside.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:22 AM

There is a simple hose slipped over a nipple on the bottom of the evaporator housing. You need to find that hose/nipple and be sure they are connected.

Also from that hose end you can blow air downwards to clear any obstruction in the hose, and w/ a vacuum cleaner may be able to pull an obstruction down through the nipple on the housing.

I would also remove the cabin air filter and see if you can clean the evaporator drain from that access point.

good luck

Old 07-16-2011, 12:15 PM

I'm in the car right now and I'm running the AC. I pulled the pass side carpet back and noticed water in the sponge under the carpet. I located the evaporator hose on the floor, I pulled it out the floor exit and stuck a hanger in it (don't have a vac). Nothing really came out besides a couple drops and it's connected to the box. Should I drive to a service station and use their vac? I removed the filter from behind the glove box and it dusted it bf reinstalled it. I noticed the ECU is right in front of the evap box under the center of the dash. Looks like it would get ruined easy if the evap were to get clogged and over spill. Should I unclamp the hose entirely from the box and insert the hanger directly?

Quick Reply: ECU water damage