General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR adjustment....?????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Default EGR adjustment....?????????????????

Hello all,

I have a question for the pro streetracers out there...

I added a 4-2-1 header set with a resonator cat and a 2.5" throughout and I also added a short intake 3.5" intake. The car runs unbelievably strong but I get the EGR code and the engine light coming on because now I lack the back pressure the stock exhaust system used to have... How do I make the EGR system work properly again... Reading up on it, the functionality will benefit the overall performance of the vehicle...

Tx Chris...

Old 05-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Default RE: EGR adjustment....?????????????????

Silly I forgot...

I have a '91 Accord with a JDM F22A engine and 165,000mls on the rest of the car...

Chris...

Old 05-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Have you checked that the egr controls are in good working order?

Old 05-12-2006, 12:09 PM

Yes, all has been working flawless until I hooked up the large diameter freeflowing exhaust system. Can I 'weaken' the springs in the EGR control valve or introduce a controlled vacuum leak coming from the intake side to balance the pressure levels?

Tx Chris.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: cwalti

Yes, all has been working flawless until I hooked up the large diameter freeflowing exhaust system. Can I 'weaken' the springs in the EGR control valve or introduce a controlled vacuum leak coming from the intake side to balance the pressure levels?

Tx Chris.
I dont think backpressure is your problem, 1991 accord ecus dont check for egr flow. It expects to see a change in the egr valve lift sensor when it energises the egr control solenoid. If it doesn't see the change it throws a code. (and cel) The problem with the egr controls could be either electrical or vacuum.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:31 AM

Yeah man, check that vacuum line to the EGR. I know when I mess around under the hood, I always pop that little hose off.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:30 AM

Ok,, we are going to do some diagnastic work,, it will take some doing on your part, and it is a long procedure so i won't go into it all at once ...

you have cleared the chk engine lite correct?? restarted car and lite came back on code 12 correct ?? If so,,,

after the engine is warm and at idle... disconnect hose # 16 from the EGR valve..connect a vacc pump with a gauge to the hose ...

1....if there is vacc , disconnect the 4 pin connector at control box,, and recheck for vacc again ..

1 a .. if there is still vacc,, chk hoses for egr valve,, if hoses are ok REPLACE EGR CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE

1 b...if there is no vacc, inspect the pink wire for short to ground between EGR control solenoid valve and the ECU,,

IF when you disconnect hose # 16 and there is no vacc ,, connect vacc pump to EGR valve ,and while engine is still at idle apply 8" of vacc..

2.. if the engine does not die or EGR does not hold vacc ,, replace EGR valve

2 a ... if the engine dies..while engine is off and key still on,,.. disconnect the 4 pin connector from control box ,, measure the voltage between ,, black/yellow ( pos) , on the wire harness side ,,, and body ground

2 b..If no battery voltage, there is an open between the solenoid valve and fuse # 2

try these tests and let me know ,, what turns up..

Old 05-13-2006, 04:47 AM

I want to thank you all for the quick and exact diagnostic reply. I have another 'scraping' problem I will need to tend to before I can start the engine again. So much good information is hard to come by. But it all makes sense... I am really looking forward to 'play' with this old little box a bit, I have been absent for too long and cannot wait to turn wrenches and chase down parts again...

Thank you kindly...

I am kinda new here, - is there a place where one can send a donation?