General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:11 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered
Default EGR cleaning

So I cleaned out my EGR ports last night. It was actually a lot easier than I had thought it was going to be. It would have been even easier if I had taken my front strut bar off, but I worked around it. There was a HUGE build up of carbon crap in there, I doubt if they have ever been cleaned, and this car has almost 191k miles on it. So now the car is running quite a bit better than it was. However, my check engine light still comes on when I first start up the car. It only happens when I start up the car after it has cooled down. So I guess I need to see if Advance Auto Parts will run the scan and tell me what code I have. Is there a directory of engine codes somewhere on the net?

Old 11-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Default RE: EGR cleaning

lots of code lists, your best bet is to find out what the code is and then click on the search button on this forum, chances are it'll show you the answers you need.... if not post the code and we'll help you out

Old 11-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

on our DIY section there is a post ( Honda obd trouble codes ) .... you did clear the ecu ,,,right ??

Old 11-04-2006, 06:39 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Clear the ECU? No. I dont even know how to do that lol. Are you saying that its still got the code in there from when the ECU ports were clogged?

Old 11-04-2006, 06:41 PM

correct, if you didn't clear the ecu it will still report the code (even if it's fixed) until the code is cleared.... just take it to the local auto parts store and have them clear it.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:31 AM

did you clean the egr valve as well?

Old 11-05-2006, 05:36 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

I cleaned the ports and the runners per Hondadude's instructions that I found on this forum. It didnt say anything about the valve, so I didnt do anything to it. Its running about a hundred times better than it was, I know that. Where is the EGR valve located, and should I tear into it again to clean it?

Old 11-05-2006, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: poser_pilot6

Clear the ECU? No. I dont even know how to do that lol. Are you saying that its still got the code in there from when the ECU ports were clogged?
assuming your car in 97 or older ,, to clear the ecu, remove the back up fuse 7.5 amps in the underhood fuse box for about 20 seconds key off of course

Old 11-07-2006, 06:01 PM

poser_pilot6, What year is your accord???

Old 11-07-2006, 06:14 PM

It's a 94 LX 4Dr.... (I read one of his old posts) He really should put that in his signature though *LOL*

Quick Reply: EGR cleaning