General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 AM
hotnics82
Unregistered
Smile EGR problem

my obd on my 97 accord 2.2 vtec, keeps flashing "insufficient egr flow" I replaced the egr and the control solenoid that is on the left side of the engine bay. I also tried cleaning the egr passages with a brush and throttle cleaner. Any advice, tips or experiance would be helpfull

Old 03-29-2009, 01:42 PM

same thing happened to my 96 accord and it wouldn't pass emissions. had my buddy look at it, who has over 15 years experience of workin on hondas,and he told me the egr valve was just bad and that the intakes on these cars generally don't get clogged. i replaced the egr valve but no change. Turned out the problem was clogged egr ports.

To fix take apart you air intake. remove all electrical connectors and hoses and remove the air plenum+ throttle body. then removes the fuel rail and anything else connected to the intake manifold. unbolt egr port cover and clean the inside of the cover, intake manifold and egr ports. i also cleaned the inside of the air plenum and throttle body. stp throttle body and intake cleaner spray works really well for blasting off deposits but use a wire brush and laquer thinner/acetone to scrape heavy deposits. install with a new intake manifold gasket and manifold to plenum gasket.

if there are hard to reach places inside the intake i found it helpful to tape a rag to the end of a wrench, pipe,etc to reach in and clean the insides

when i took it to a shop they were gonna charge $312 to clean the egr ports

Last edited by bdmlilburn; 03-29-2009 at 01:46 PM.