General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default EGR Valve

My '97 Accord LX has thrown the code P1491, which is not enough lift in EGR valve.

I did some research online and found a couple of solutions. One is to take the EGR valve out, take it apart, and clean out any carbon build up. Some have reported that took care of the issue. Others have said that they had to replace the solenoid valve that controls the vacuum sent to the EGR valve.

What have people on here had luck with?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

The valve is operated by vacuum. When it gets vacuum, it opens. No vacuum = closed EGR. The EGR is a simple design, the valve is like a pin plugging a hole. The pin lifts with vacuum and exhaust gas enters the intake.

The EGR valve has a sensor on how high the pin raises. If the pin does not raise high enough, the CEL turns on. Now you have to determine if the EGR valve, the actual lift senor, the vacuum hoses, or the vacuum controls are causing the problem.

The easiest step is to trace the vacuum hose (#16 is printed on that hose) back to the vacuum controls. Sometimes the hose is damaged and it is a simple fix. If you have a handheld vacuum pump, see if the EGR valve can hold a vacuum (it should). If not the diaphragm is ruptured and you need a new egr valve.

You don't want to just throw parts at a problem. You should take some time and diagnose.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm going to start by cleaning the EGR valve itself and cleaning the 4 ports.
Then I'm going to check the vacuum lines for leaks, then I'll put a new solenoid on it.

Sounds like a pretty simple system after doing some research online, just a matter of pin-pointing what's causing the problem.

Ebay has all kinds of parts for it at cheap prices too.

Steve