General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Valve Diagnosis - Step By Step

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
The variable resistance is probably a linear wiper type. A good dose of WD40 may cure the problem if it returns.

good luck
Thanks TH,

Are you saying that I could spray some WD40 into the male connector on the EGR?

Old 05-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Disassembling and cleaning our EGR's. See below.

EGR Valve Internal Repair - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

EGR valve unveiled and some repair ideas. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Some of these guys actually modify their EGR valves. Pretty cool!

Last edited by Restless; 05-10-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you can disassemble, as demonstrated in the pics use EGR cleaner on the valve movement and alcohol on the linear variable resistance.

WD40 has worked for me where the potentiometer was inaccessible; radio volume control, sticky switches (seatbelt), and brake light switch.

Do you plan to disassemble your EGR? A report would be nice!

good luck

Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Interesting links. I just assumed that the EGR action was binary, on or off, but the link shows that (for all-electric EGR valves anyway) they're variable. A difficult environment for a carbon pot.

I wonder who Heath Robinson is:

Finally as a last resort we could use an external 5k pot! The top centre of the egr valve can be drilled carefully...
A bit of a heath robinson repair I grant you, but probably possible.
Must be the UK equivalent of jury-rigged.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Heath Robinson is UK version of Rube Goldberg. Cartoonist who liked to draw very bizzare machinery.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If you can disassemble, as demonstrated in the pics use EGR cleaner on the valve movement and alcohol on the linear variable resistance.

WD40 has worked for me where the potentiometer was inaccessible; radio volume control, sticky switches (seatbelt), and brake light switch.

Do you plan to disassemble your EGR? A report would be nice!

good luck
The light came back on this morning. Very frustrating! I wonder if it could be temperature related. The air temps. dropped 20 degrees overnight.

I am going to squirt some WD40 in there tonight to see if it helps. If not I will take it off and disassemble it. Pics will follow if I do.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I sprayed some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner on the EGR prongs last night. After driving 30 miles the light is still on.

Next step is to drill the little hole in the top of the EGR and spray the CRC in there. If that doesn't help, I will have to buy a new EGR.

If the new EGR doesn't fix it, then I am left with no choice other than to light the car on fire... j/k

Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Over the weekend I removed the EGR valve from the car and drilled two small holes in the top of the EGR. I then sprayed CRC Electronics Cleaner in there and let it sit for a few minutes. I even shook it up slightly. After dumping out the excess cleaner I reinstalled the valve.

After driving around for 50 miles, the damn light is still on. I guess the thing is just broke. Time for a new one.

I started the car with the EGR removed. I could hear air being sucked through the egr passage, so I know that it is not clogged anymore. The air sound is pretty loud and the car had an erratic idle. When I put a charge to the EGR Valve terminal I could see the valve opening.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Last night I went to Autozone to get a new EGR valve and thought it would be a good idea to run one last scan. Good thing I did! Now I am getting a P1459 and a P0420. WTF!!! This car will not give me a break!

I'm wondering if the codes are from running the car for a couple seconds with the EGR valve removed.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Clear all codes and see what returns. It may be another problem

good luck

Quick Reply: EGR Valve Diagnosis - Step By Step