General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR valve repair shop replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Question EGR valve repair shop replacement

I know there are some other threads which have discussed the EGR valve. Although, I'm curious if I got spent too much having it replaced. I figure most likely the answer is: Yes. I took it to a shop and they charged me 315 to replace the EGR valve.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to my knowledge of my engine. I have just recently replaced my radiator on my own and thats the biggest project I've done.

I asked the guy at the shop if there was carbon build up and he said there was a lot of it. What has been odd though, is now my car starts up but it takes while sometimes.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Can we guess this is a 2000 with a 4cyl?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Oh yeah...sorry about that.

2000 Honda Accord 4cyl

190,000 miles

Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

The valve is prob around $150, so the rest would have been labor....unless there was other work done.

For future, you will have to decide if you want to do the work or pay someone. We would be more than happy to give you an idea of "how hard" something is, then you can decide.

Radiator change vs EGR valve replacement - I'd say the difficulty level would be the same. Tools - you would need a proper socket (six point) as the nuts that hold the valve are on there and most of the time at an odd angle.

Starting issue, I'd go thru the idle re-learn procedure and see if you get any improvement. In the Common DIY Threads sticky, found at the very top of this section, there is a "how to" by Jim.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Doesn't sound too bad. Its by no means a hard job to do, but a shop is always going to charge a few hundred no matter what it is.

Sounds like you are on your way to being a DIYer. As Poorman said with future jobs just check in here to see how difficult and what tools are required for a job then you can decide if you want to tackle it yourself or bring it somewhere.

I know I only bring the hardest of jobs, or ones that require special tools that are quite expensive to shops to do.

On a side note you will find, in my experience, the newer the car, the more of these hard jobs, or special tools, you need.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

A shop manual is a good investment.

If you think you'll give most work to a shop, get a Chilton or something inexpensive. It'll do for the easy jobs, and it'll help you decide which jobs are over your head.

If you think you'll work your way to the bigger jobs, a shop book from Helm (www dot helminc dot com) is way better. On-line pdf version of that book is available somewhere too, maybe automanualsource on ebay??

Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys. Much appreciated!

I got the work done on the EGR valve being replaced. It did cost me $315. Although, I do not have much time to work on my ride. Work has me traveling a lot now...I use the car to commute for work. Got to have it fixed in time to get back on the road again. I just enjoy seeking out information on how I can DIM.

Thanks again for the feedback.