General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

EGR Valve test

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Default EGR Valve test

1993 honda accord EX f22a6

Is there an Eesy way to test to see if my EGR valve is working properly.. I suspect it might not be but would like to know for sure before taking it apart to clean it or buying a new one which isnt so cheap. Any ideas??

Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

You can pull a vacuum on the vacuum hose that leads to the valve while the engine is running. Your engine to stumble and/or cut out.

The online manuals thread in the DIY section has a link posted by me to access an online version of the 91 shop manual to do diagnostics on the EGR valve.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:28 AM

OK im gonna get a vacuum gauge and test it.. but Im just wondering how pulling vacuum on the house going to the EGR valve test the EGR valve it self... or do I test where the house goes onto the EGR valve... hope this makes sense... thanks again.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

You want to pull a vacuum on the EGR valve. So you can test on the vacuum port going to the valve.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

I thought the test DOES check for clogged ports.

If the ports are open, the engine should stumble & run rough (because it doesn't like EGR flow at idle).
If the ports are clogged, the idle won't be disturbed.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

I did pull a vacuum on my EGR some years ago, and the engine did stall.

Most of my ports were pretty plugged up when I went to clean them, so don't assume that the vacuum test will be definitive if the engine stalls. If the ports have never been cleaned, then I would suggest that you clean them.

If the diaphragm was ruptured, the valve would not hold a vacuum.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I guess I didn't think about the case of partially obstructed ports. That might still make the engine stumble...

Old 11-17-2009, 02:08 AM

I check vacuum at idle on the house going to the EGR valve and got none as there should be none at idle. I then put a vacuum gauge pump on the valve and as soon as i put some vacuum on it the car stalled. So i guess the next thing to do if I really want to be sure is to take the EGR valve off and look too see if there is any carbon build up? Would this be wise do check before drilling and pulling the plugs on the ports on the intake manifold to see if those are clogged? Also to let you guys know I did put in some sea foam and that has made a slite difference. The car accelerates a bit better right off the line but still bogs around 1800 to 2200... That dead spot i have read about. Thanks again everyone....

Old 11-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Nob-k
Unregistered
Default EGR Valve test

go to your local import junkyard. I got mine there for 15 for whole thing, egr valve, tubing connector part. You still didnt say what code you got.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:57 AM

Never got a code.. My check engine light has never come on.. I just has a dead spot while exccelerating until it gets to about 2200-2500 rpm's then it accelerates just fine.

Quick Reply: EGR Valve test