General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:24 AM
York
Unregistered
Default Electical problems

1997 Honda Accord EX V6/ 160,000 miles. Problem with dash lights, interior lights and even head lights sometimes flickering (strobe like), dimming, or even getting brighter. No pattern, does it while driving, while parked at idle, sometimes not at all. Had alternator rebuilt by a reputable starter and alternator shop even though alternator checked out good. Voltage regulator was replaced in the rebuild and this seemed to solve the problem for a short time, but symptoms have returned. Read on other post of similar problems, but no definite answer as to a permanent solution. I feel like this alternator will check out good also as I've had no problems with the battery or starting the car. Another rebuild, new alternator? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Default RE: Electical problems

Hmmm sounds like something i would have suggested...and i know you dont want to hear it...but possibly buy a new alternator... do you use subs or a high power draw? neon lights? anything of the sort? Also do you have a battery 500 CCA or more?

Old 07-26-2006, 12:56 AM
York
Unregistered

The vehicle is stock. Not sure of battery size. It's an Everstart, a battery that some of the local parts stores carry and feel like it is probably sized correctly. I purchased the vehicle a couple of months ago. Don't know the history of vehicle. It's clean and drives good. Normal wear and tear. I'm suspecting the alternator is the culprit, or at least the voltage regulator, as right after the rebuild the flickering lights went away. I just hate to purchase another alternator or haggle with the alternator shop if indeed the alternator is putting out the correct amount of amps. Guess I was hoping for a simple (cheap) solution. Yea right.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:12 AM

I think I would put a voltmeter somewhere and see what it reads. The battery would be a good place to start. Wouldn't hurt to have it all checked at a parts store and see what they say. Have them check your battery and alternator. If they both come back good and the voltage is steady, I can't see that being the problem.

If you are good with electronics, trace the circuits with a voltmeter...both with engine running and with engine off. Somewhere, you should find a point where the voltage goes from steady to changing. Electronic schematics can be found in service manual, search the site....you should be able to download one.

If you end up believing it is the alternator, if they rebuilt it I would assume there is some type of warranty?

Old 08-31-2006, 08:54 PM
York
Unregistered

Update on electrical problem. Continued to drive car and problem with flickering, flashing lights continued to worsen. Even to the point where my A/C blower motor was being affected. Took alternator off and had it checked at the place that rebuilt it. Voltage regulator was bad. Alternator was still putting out and staying within range but the regulator was causing the power surge. Problem fixed, at least for now. Fingers crossed.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:24 PM
York
Unregistered

Latest update. Worked fine for awhile. But once again the problem, ie.(flickering lights, etc.) returned.. This time I went ahead andpurchased a new,high qualityalternator. It was more expensive than a rebuilt, but was worth it. It has been a good while now and the problem has NOT returned. (Knock on wood). Just wanted to let everyone know.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the update! I'm glad that you got it working

Old 08-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I recently had a bad experience w/ my 97 Acura 2.5TL w/ similar symptoms to yours. It turned out to be the harmonic balancer rubber had failed allowing the drive pulley on the harmonic balancer to slip under load; ie altternator was turning fast enough. Problem was not visible at idle, but showed up w/ head lights and AC running. As you might imagine, it took some time to figure out what was happening. $$$ Hopefully, you've found the problem, but if it returns check the alternator turning under load w/ lights and AC on. You should be able to spot if pulley is not turning at correct speed.

good luck