General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical (I Think) Starting Problems 2005 Honda Accord V6 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 12:58 PM
Default Electrical (I Think) Starting Problems 2005 Honda Accord V6 3.0L

I am having an issue starting my car (2005 Honda Accord V6 3.0L). What I thought it was.. can still be, or it may be something else. My key turns over, the lights come on, it beeps. It does everything it needs to do except turn over and start. Just recently this happened and I thought it was my battery...nope. Then I thought the spark plugs.....nope. I haved the starter and alternator checked. The next thing I could think of was the ignition switch and lock cylinder...got that changed...the car was good for about a week...starting like always. And now it's back to doing the same thing. No Crank No Start. Please HELLLLLLLP ME. Where do I look next? I love my car!

Thanks

miles 289,00

Old 09-08-2018, 01:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Starter going bad. Change it out. To test it out when it's not starting hit the starter with a hammer. If it starts then replace it

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 09-08-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

First tell us what you mean when you say it doesn't "turn over & start". To most people that means the starter isn't spinning the engine. If that's the case, do what Sean says.

Some people use that phrase to mean the starter spins the engine OK but the engine doesn't fire up & run. In that case, tapping the starter won't help. Just let us know...

Old 09-08-2018, 02:48 PM

JimBlake is correct

Old 09-09-2018, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
First tell us what you mean when you say it doesn't "turn over & start". To most people that means the starter isn't spinning the engine. If that's the case, do what Sean says.

Some people use that phrase to mean the starter spins the engine OK but the engine doesn't fire up & run. In that case, tapping the starter won't help. Just let us know...
The engine will not fire up. I have tapped with a hammer and had the starter checked...

Old 09-09-2018, 09:15 AM

So you are having a crank but no start issue. I say replace the starter and you will be fine. I don't know how you had the starter checked but if they didn't remove it how else did they check it

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 09-09-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
So you are having a crank but no start issue.
No the engine is doing a one click sound (not the starter bad click sound)...but other than that nothing from the engine. I believe it's a no crank no start

Old 09-09-2018, 09:55 AM

You have 2 choices to choose from. Since you said you changed your ignition switch and had the battery/alternator checked. You're saying you get one click when trying to start.

EFI relay
Starter

Your EFI relay should be clicking multiple times if its bad so I'm not leaning that way but you can try it. Napa part ECH AR6229 or Standard Motors RY737 (Advance Auto) depending on where you shop

Your starter you say was checked. Your starter still works as it's going bad. This is where I'm putting my bet at. You say you have one click when trying to start. that is the fuel pump relay working. You have no other sound which means the starter is bad.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 09-09-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
You have 2 choices to choose from. Since you said you changed your ignition switch and had the battery/alternator checked. You're saying you get one click when trying to start.

EFI relay
Starter

Your EFI relay should be clicking multiple times if its bad so I'm not leaning that way but you can try it. Napa part ECH AR6229 or Standard Motors RY737 (Advance Auto) depending on where you shop

Your starter you say was checked. Your starter still works as it's going bad. This is where I'm putting my bet at. You say you have one click when trying to start. that is the fuel pump relay working. You have no other sound which means the starter is bad.
I'm going to try both. I thought it could be a relay as well. My starter is just a year old but I'll just take it out anyway. And I will check it myself. Thank you. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much

Old 09-09-2018, 11:50 AM

If your starter is a year old it should be under warranty if you bought it from an auto shop. I know advance auto gives lifetime on their remans. Try to warranty the starter to save money. The relay should be around $40

If you don't know where the EFI relay is it's just above the fuse box inside. Remove the whole trim where the fuse box is. Above the fuses you will see 2 rows of relays. The top row 2nd from the left (middle) is where it sits. It should be brown in color.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 09-09-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Electrical (I Think) Starting Problems 2005 Honda Accord V6 3.0L